Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zacorias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Backing up data is obviously important but I don't have room to backup my entire internal HD. How can I set up my computer to back up specific folders. For example, how can I continually back up my iTunes folder without transferring all 10,000 songs every time and without having to remember what songs have been added and need to be backed up?

Let me know if my post was unclear. Thanks!

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
You can use Time Machine. If your internal drive is larger then your external, its probably a good idea to get a bigger external. In the meantime, you can configure TM to exclude specified folders from being backed up.

Zacorias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I probably should have mentioned that I formatted my hard drive in ntfs in case something happened and it needed to be used with windows. I don't think time machine will work with ntfs. There must be a simpler solution out there. Thank you though for the idea.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I probably should have mentioned that I formatted my hard drive in ntfs in case something happened and it needed to be used with windows. I don't think time machine will work with ntfs. There must be a simpler solution out there. Thank you though for the idea.
You don't need NTFS to recover data via Windows. You can use MacDrive for free for 7 days in the case you don't have access to your Mac.
FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

If you want an automated backup like Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner, you need your drive to be HFS+ formatted.
What about getting another external HDD for 30 to 50 €?

Carbon Copy Cloner?
Doesn't work with NTFS formatted volumes.

Zacorias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
You don't need NTFS to recover data via Windows. You can use MacDrive for free for 7 days in the case you don't have access to your Mac.

If you want an automated backup like Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner, you need your drive to be HFS+ formatted.
What about getting another external HDD for 30 to 50 €?

Doesn't work with NTFS formatted volumes.

I hadn't heard of MacDrive but that looks cool.
I currently have Paragon NTFS (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/) so my mac does read and write NTFS. I also have carbon copy cloner but is there a way to use it for only a select few folders?
I also only want to have one copy of the files on the hard drive. Doesn't time machine incrementally back up the data until the hard drive is full and then delete the oldest set of data the next time a back up is scheduled?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I also have carbon copy cloner but is there a way to use it for only a select few folders?
Yes. (Carbon Copy Cloner > Cloning Options >Incremental backup of selected items)
I also only want to have one copy of the files on the hard drive. Doesn't time machine incrementally back up the data until the hard drive is full and then delete the oldest set of data the next time a back up is scheduled?
Yes, thus CCC is the better alternative suiting your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.