Best way to back up specific folder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zacorias, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Zacorias macrumors newbie

Backing up data is obviously important but I don't have room to backup my entire internal HD. How can I set up my computer to back up specific folders. For example, how can I continually back up my iTunes folder without transferring all 10,000 songs every time and without having to remember what songs have been added and need to be backed up?

Let me know if my post was unclear. Thanks!

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

You can use Time Machine. If your internal drive is larger then your external, its probably a good idea to get a bigger external. In the meantime, you can configure TM to exclude specified folders from being backed up.

3. Zacorias thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I probably should have mentioned that I formatted my hard drive in ntfs in case something happened and it needed to be used with windows. I don't think time machine will work with ntfs. There must be a simpler solution out there. Thank you though for the idea.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

5. simsaladimbamba

You don't need NTFS to recover data via Windows. You can use MacDrive for free for 7 days in the case you don't have access to your Mac.
    If you want an automated backup like Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner, you need your drive to be HFS+ formatted.
    What about getting another external HDD for 30 to 50 €?

Doesn't work with NTFS formatted volumes.

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

So you can't download/watch/transfer HD movies?

7. simsaladimbamba

If those HD movies are bigger than 4GB, and use FAT32 with the external HDD and you download to that FAT32 HDD, then yes.
    Then there is also exFAT.

8. Zacorias thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't heard of MacDrive but that looks cool.
    I currently have Paragon NTFS (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/) so my mac does read and write NTFS. I also have carbon copy cloner but is there a way to use it for only a select few folders?
    I also only want to have one copy of the files on the hard drive. Doesn't time machine incrementally back up the data until the hard drive is full and then delete the oldest set of data the next time a back up is scheduled?

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes. (Carbon Copy Cloner > Cloning Options >Incremental backup of selected items)
    Yes, thus CCC is the better alternative suiting your needs.

10. Zacorias thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'll give it a shot. Thanks!