Best way to back up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shthap3ns, Feb 10, 2010.

1. shthap3ns macrumors newbie

I'm leaving my full time job to go fulltime freelance, and have to return my unibody (Snow Leopard) MBP. Now I'm just waiting on the Arrandale units to be released before I get a new one.

Question is, what's the best way to back up my data to transfer to the new one when I get it? I know you can make a disk image and transfer it over, but I'm a bit hesitant making that my only backup option. Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Time Machine - non bootable backup, but can be used to restore data from via the Migration Assistant on a new Mac.

Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper - cloning of your HDD -> making an exact copy of your HDD, which is bootable, can be used via Migration Assistant or can be cloned back onto the new Mac

Creating a Disk Image (.dmg) via Disk Utility is not really recommended, as that would put tens of thousands of files into one file. What if it gets corrupted?

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I'd suggest doing both regularly anyways. I'd back-clone the SuperDuper backup to your new Mac. Unless, of course, you want to seize the moment and start with a fresh OS installation...

4. lysyblic macrumors newbie

Backup to windows server 2003

Hi,
    We are slowly moving to Mac in work, I have been using Time Machine to backup my machine onto a portable harddrive, now another guy in the office has a mac. Problem is, our company wide backups are onto DAT tapes on a Windows Small Business Server 2003. Is there any way of getting his new Mac to sync his files with the server so that they are backed up as part of the regular backup system?

Any ideas would be super.
    Thanks,
    Ryan