Best way to backup iLife and such during fresh install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djnardu, Oct 17, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

I dont have an external drive, but I do have a ton of DVD+R's. So what is the best way of going around an backing up a copy of my iLife and iWork?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I'd suggest doing an archive&install. You'll get all the benefits of a clean OS install and fresh system/library folders. You can even get a clean profile but not choosing to preserve user accounts (they are saved, but are then in a folder that the installer creates called Previous Systems and you just copy the iTunes, iPhoto, etc. data folders/packages into your new profile.

Would this work for you?

4. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I think he/she has the original media, but the question is about where to save the data files to, hence my suggestion of an archive&install instead of an "erase"...

5. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

Im sure it would I just want a clean bill of health for my Mac without any crap I might have loaded previously onto my system.

6. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

Actually is it possible to rip the programs off my Install disk using pacifist?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Unless you installed some sort of system level files beyond Apple updates the majority of your files that you consistently create or modify would be in your user home directory.