best way to backup my itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbluhp, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

backing up my itunes libiary though itunes dose not seem reliable for me as it won't backup my "imported music" is there something that will backup all music including once ripped from personal collection?

2. HabSonic macrumors regular

Backup your entire computer including iTunes?

Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner are both great.

3. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I meant just the music in my library?

4. HabSonic macrumors regular

5. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Of course it will back up your "imported" music. What it will NOT do is backup music that you have imported, but not added to the library folder.

Since you've left music files that you've added in their original locations, you need to backup their original locations.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent tool for backing up either your entire hard drive or any portion of it. First, you need to make sure where all your iTunes media files are located. They could be in multiple locations, depending on how you have iTunes configured.

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Depending on how many songs you have, you could use Google Music. Your songs would be accessible from anywhere as well.

8. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I get CCC to backup to a blank dvd+R?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't recommend doing that at all, as DVDs are too susceptible to damage. They're not as reliable a backup media as are external drives.

10. jackrv macrumors 6502

I do this as well, but it's not really a backup unless your music in iTunes is mp3 already. Google Music converts other formats such as AAC to mp3. I use it just to have my music accessible anywhere.

I also love CCC. I've only used it for whole system backups, but it "just works". Personally, I have a copy of my iTunes media folder on an external drive (manually, I should use CCC), a copy in my Time Machine backup, as well as the aforementioned mp3 versions in Google Music.

11. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Use a redundant RAID (RAID1). If you are really paranoid like I am: clone the RAID on a weekly or monthly basis to an archive drive (be sure to keep this drive off, when not in use, to preserve its lifespan).

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I use Time Machine for regular backup, but also use external USB and fw800 drives to make copies of things which I consider valuable. Music, video, photos, virtual machines and the like. 1 tb externals are very affordable.

13. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

using ccc or another os x cd/dvd burning software how can I split my "music" into 4GB selections "disk images" to fit them into dvd+r's?

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Why would you want them on DVDs? They are the most unstable medium out there... and probably the worst choice for backup.

/Jim

15. jackrv macrumors 6502

Agreed. Use an external HDD. Whether you use an enclosed system like a Seagate GoFlex or a commodity HDD in an enclosure, you can restore your music via USB, FW, Thunderbolt, or any other transport you can attach to the HDD. One bad scratch and the DVD is useless. And backup to more than one HDD as stated before.

16. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Only reason I can think of is how cheaply blank, burnable DVDs can be acquired for these days. I'm not saying price justifies the rest of the risk here, but that might be why.

I'll throw my hat in as well and suggest an external hard drive of some sort for backing up.

17. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Yes, they are inexpensive... but they also have a very limited shelf life.

/Jim

18. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the input but I had no idea how to set up a raid using disk utilities So I just copy the music folder into my backup hard drive.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need RAID. Just use Carbon Copy Cloner as has already been suggested to backup your music to an external hard drive, not to DVDs.

20. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

An iPod?

21. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

A few random comments/observations...

As already mentioned, DVD-Rs are not a good choice for backups. I have had several of these go bad in just a few years. Plus, their capacity is way too small to be useful for any decent size collection.

You really should be thinking about a full backup plan, not just your iTunes library. External HDs are pretty darn affordable. If nothing else, a monthly cloning using CCC will go a long way towards minimizing any impact caused by catastrophic failure, theft, fire, etc. (Of course, it's key to store the backup drive off premises to be truly secure.)

I prefer a 2-tier approach. I use a 2 TB disc in my MacPro to act as a Time Machine drive for my other three drives in the MP and my wife's MacMini. I also use an external 2 TB drive with 4 partitions to clone all drives (except the Time Machine backup drive) once a month using CCC. I store that HD away from home.

Seriously, you should be thinking about more than just you iTunes content.