Best way to Backup to pc/mac Jailbroken apps?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xsecretfiles, Nov 21, 2008.

1. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

Is there an app to backup all jailbroken Apps and sync them to your computer/Mac?
    I don't want to have to write down every app I've DL through Cydia

Had anyone backup up their jailbroken apps successfully?

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

In Cydia there's an app called aptbackup. Run that and it will create a file that has a list of all your Cydia apps. If you restore you can redownload that app and it will reinstall all your Cydia apps.

3. xsecretfiles thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I just installed it and hit backup. I can't tell how it works, but when I plug it to itunes I don't get anything creating from this app....
    am I missing a step?

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It doesn't backup app data. It only backs up what you have installed. So then when you restore it'll auto download all your files.

If you want to back up the actual data, you can try setting up an rsync configuration or something. Or if you're mounting it as a drive, you can use any conventional sync or copy/paste method.

Before I upgrade, I just take all my MxTube, Cycorder, dTunes files and put them in my iTunes on my computer so when I upgrade and sync they're back, but just in the iPod app rather than jailbreak apps.

Roms, just keep a roms folder on your computer too with all those backed up.

5. Kayan macrumors 6502

But what if you pay money for a JB app? When Aptbackup reinstalls all of your JB apps, how does it get the ones that you had to pay for again? Will it charge you again?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Don't use aptbackup.

Pkgbackup is your best bet. Anything else is crap. Read the forums and you'll see.

7. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

+1

Pkgbackup creates a contact with all the info. It's great.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I totally agree. AptBackup rarely works, and will not work if you set up as a new phone. PkgBackup is the way to go. Well worth a couple of bucks.

Both AptBackup and PkgBackup use apt to restore your packages, the same as Cydia. This allows you to install any apps you paid for through the Cydia store without issue.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I used AptBackup once, screwed up my iPhone 3GS so bad, I had to immediately restore it.

Now, like everyone else, I use only PkgBackup.

Used it through multiple upgrades/jailbreaks on 2 different phone, works 100%

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Another vote here for PkgBackup. And to answer your other questions, apps you purchased via Cydia do not have to be repurchased, there is a mechanism in Cydia that identifies you and your purchases.

11. Kayan macrumors 6502

Very nice answers and thank you for the recommendation. Sounds like you saved me a lot of restore/upgrade headaches.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just remember, a program like PkgBackup restores ALL your Cydia apps in one operation. But if you go from say 3.1.3 where all the Cydia apps worked to 4.0.x where many of the Cydia apps still don't work yet, restoring all the apps at once isn't a good idea.

The apps which don't run can cause reboot loops, crashed springboard, etc.

So, when going to newer level firmware, it's a good idea to replace the apps one at a time so you figure out which ones are not working.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is not exactly true. PkgBackup can restore all your apps in one operation, but it also allows you to chose which packages you wish to restore individually or by category. The rest of your advice is good, but I believe PkgBackup is perfect for facilitating this sort of troubleshooting as well. It saves you wading through every package in Cydia.

14. jason221 macrumors 6502

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Better than starting a duplicate thread, and completely on-topic, unlike your post. I'd rather have a newbie search and revive a useful thread than post another "Can I jailbreak my iPhone 4?" thread.

16. Kayan macrumors 6502

Didn't realize the date stamp on the thread until after I resurrected the discussion. But yes, I am certainly more concerned about knowing what I can do correctly once the jailbreak is finally out rather than worrying about WHEN it will come out. I'm glad to receive some acknowledgement for doing my due-dilligence before posting.

17. Soccy macrumors newbie

pkgbackup doesnt work for me

What are my other options?

I purchased pkgbackup and backed up my apps successfully a while back. Then recently, something corrupted my contacts and every single program that has to access my contacts crashes, including pkgbackup.

Whenever I use pkgbackup, all goes along smoothly until it begins to save the backup to my contacts. Then my phone crashes and resprings into Safe Mode.

I have to restore my phone, but haven't yet because I don't know IF or WHERE my Cydia apps have been restored.

Any help?????:eek::confused:

18. omairangel1 macrumors newbie

Pkgbackup question

Hi folks, I am new to the forum and I have an iphon4 64K. I understand from many of you that Pkgbackup is the way to go when backing up jailbroken apps. I would like to purchase the pkgbackup. Once I install the software, I can backup all my jailbroken apps. I am presently using 4.0.1 os on my
    iphone4. Once I backup all my jailbroken apps, can I upgrade to the new OS, 4.3.2, I think it is. Once I update, what jailbroken software can I use wirelessly to re-jailbreak my iphone and restore my jailbroken apps? I need help. Thanks....All the best to you guys/gals....
    Regards,
    Angel M

19. Jason B macrumors regular

Bump, same thing he said. I want to backup all my jbroken apps and their data. I'm on 4.0.1 on my iphone 4. Please tell me the best way to do this so I don't lose anything?

20. hoyogo macrumors newbie

Well first if you have installous download appsync from cydia. This will allow you to put all of your illegal apps on itunes without a problem. If you don't have installous , skip that step.

Next you want to right click on your devices on iTunes and click transfer purchases.

Last download Pkgbackup from Cydia and back up your jailroken apps.

Piece of cake!;)

21. Jason B macrumors regular

Thanks, I did it a month ago. Is there a reason that with my old jailbreak, and even now with the new one (I'm on for 4.3.2 with jailbreak c16) my phone slows down sometimes. Like when I swipe to get the next page of icons, it hangs sometimes. SOmetime it's super quick, and then it the phone slows down. ANy ideas? Or something I can uninstall and reinstall?

22. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It is against forum policy to talk about Installous here. Pirating apps is illegal in the real world and it's illegal here too. You're liable to be banned if it's mentioned again. Thank you! :)

23. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Also agree used it the other day so easy and works perfect