Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
suggestions? advice?

i feel like there should be a sticky thread about this.

Rhcpcjg

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
just ignore the scratches. stainless steel will get scratched no matter what.

Jfieldzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Marlborough, MA
Highly recommend Chemical guys heavy metal polish. Car product, but have a friend that uses it on his Rolex and looks great after a quick polish.

timize

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
71MVLSHh4OL._SY355_.jpg

$4 at Walmart. You can find it in the automotive aisle near the car detailing products. Just use a tiny bit and rub it on with a microfiber cloth, and poof, the micro scratches are gone. A little goes a long way.

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
For shiny steel like the SS case, Flitz on a thin cotton pad on a glass work surface. For the brushed bracelet, grey Scothbrite. Green is way too aggressive, the grey is specifically used by pros for the purpose of refinishing brushed bracelets.

Have used this for more than 20 years on my Omega Speedmasters and Seamasters and they look practically new, especially the bracelet clasps.

Reactions: bcollett

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
For the brushed bracelet, grey Scothbrite. Green is way too aggressive, the grey is specifically used by pros for the purpose of refinishing brushed bracelets.

Looking online, the only gray pads I find are primarily used for sanding paint primer before auto painting and sold in bulk (I see someone on eBay sells 5 pads at a good price). Is that the same one you use?

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I can also recommend the Mother's polish... I bought it ahead of receiving my SS Watch and tested it out on my old iPod (I don't have a "before" pic, but we all know how scratched up the SS back gets on those). Here is a pic of the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I ditched my SS watch and decided to get a regular SG when they're available. Scratches are inevitable on any SS watch and I knew that would drive me crazy. It's an endless losing battle that I didn't want to have.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I have just noticed a couple of nicks on my SS. I think I'll have a polishing session every 6 months or so. Scratches in the SS I can live with, scratches in the screen would really annoy me though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I ditched my SS watch and decided to get a regular SG when they're available. Scratches are inevitable on any SS watch and I knew that would drive me crazy. It's an endless losing battle that I didn't want to have.

No, it's an instantly losing battle with the SG Sport, since you can't fix scratches. You get one, and then you live with it. With the SS, you get one, and then you fix it in 10 seconds if it's bothersome.

Reactions: Glene

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
No, it's an instantly losing battle with the SG Sport, since you can't fix scratches. You get one, and then you live with it. With the SS, you get one, and then you fix it in 10 seconds if it's bothersome.

Completely agree, which is why I got the SS. It's annoying getting a scratch, but knowing I can remove it means I'm not too bothered. If I knew it was permanent, I would be less happy, which is why in my previous post I mentioned I wasn't too bothered about scratches in the metal, but not too happy about scratches in the glass. Having said that the sports watches are meant to be less prones to scratches so maybe its less of a problem with these watches.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Can scratches be fixed on the brushed aluminium does anyone know? Is it the same as above-i.e, polishing with a product/cloth?

Would that take away the brushed look?

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I can also recommend the Mother's polish... I bought it ahead of receiving my SS Watch and tested it out on my old iPod (I don't have a "before" pic, but we all know how scratched up the SS back gets on those). Here is a pic of the results.

Holy Crap! I didn't know you could buff the scratches out of those old iPods. I wish I had done that before I listed my kids iPods on eBay. I'll bet I coulda got a lot more for them.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Read this now and believe it later. For scratches on the link bracelet, nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats a WHITE ink eraser. Go to the stationary store and ask for a white ink eraser. Take it home and tape the bracelet to a wood board or counter. Slowly and firmly push the eraser over the bracelet in the same direction as the brushed finish. Repeat until the scratches are gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.