Best way to burn a DVD slideshow

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by darngooddesign, Jun 10, 2015.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My friend wants me to combine a bunch of photos to DVD to play on a TV during a memorial. What's the best way to accomplish this? I am running Yosemite.

We don't have a DVD player at home, but wouldn't I be able to test it by inserting it in my MacBook Pro?

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

The easiest & best (for me) is Fotomagico to take pictures & videos to a "slide type show". From there, if its just a DVD or preferably a Bluray player, I use Toast with the HD add-on. This can put a short high def video on a DVD. Only playable by a Bluray player.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can use iMovie, iPhoto(possibly Photos as well) and even Keynote, to create the slideshow, with the option of adding some appropriate music as well. From there you can create a video file which you can then use to make your dvd.

To burn a standard video dvd that will play in a dvd player, you can use the free Burn software. Just be sure to make a Video DVD. Just be aware that not all dvd players will play all homemade dvds.
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

And yes, you can test the dvd with your Mac.

4. ColdCase, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Can iMovie share to a DVD like FCPX can? I guess not.

How modern is that TV? Most newer than say 4-5 years have a USB port where you can plug a flash drive in. The TV will present the images on the flash drive as a slide show. Some will play movies from a USB stick. A lot easier than DVDs.

5. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

I used Burn, thanks Dave, and it appears to have worked. I used iPhoto to export a slide show to video and then Burn converted it to the correct format.

I would have stuck them on a thumb drive, but I won't be there to tech support any issues that may crop up.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie11(version 9) can if you have iDVD, but the latest iMovie can't.