Best way to buy new iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 8bitrevolution, Aug 30, 2007.

1. 8bitrevolution macrumors member

I, like most people on this forum, have been anxiously awaiting the 6th gen iPod. I'm not sure what they'll do with it but I'm certain I'm going to want it.

I've never purchased an iPod on launch day (or lived in a city with an Apple Store) but I plan to buy on September 5th. Assuming it comes out. So what's my best bet? Should I place an order as soon as the Apple online store comes up or do I have a chance in hell at my local Apple store? Of course that assumes that Steve says "can be purchased starting today".

Do Apple stores usually have the new stock ready to sell as soon as the annoucement is over? Do local resellers get theirs on the first day, too?

2. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Based on the iPhone mayhem, I'd say there should be plenty of stock, as there was on launch day.

I bought my iPhone on the 30th, the day after launch. No lines. No waiting. Lots of stock.

3. 8bitrevolution thread starter macrumors member

I'd think the iPod would have a bigger market especially since it's going to be, most likely, cheaper and doesn't require a cell phone contract. Maybe I should just go by the Apple store right after the announcement.

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm pretty sure that Apple stores will have them on day that Steve says they will be available. As for other retailers, I'll bet it'll be a week or two for them to get them.

What is the closest Apple Store to you?

5. 8bitrevolution thread starter macrumors member

Closest Apple store is all of 15 minutes away. I've recently moved so I now enjoy that luxury. I guess since the media events are really only tracked by Mac die-hards, we won't have the camping out like for the iPhone?

I wish the resellers sold them day one. An authorized retailer is within 5 minutes walking distance from where I live.

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Well, give them a call before you venture out to the Apple Store. What retailer is it? Someone like a Best Buy might get them in, but I really doubt it on release day.

7. 8bitrevolution thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably just call ahead like you suggested. I prefer the reseller (they're a locally run authorized reseller. I doubt they'll have them day one) because they're smaller and not as crowded/noisy as the Apple store tends to be.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think for the 5th gen, they didn't have them in right away at my apple store, it was a few days. But from what i saw they only had a few. I don't know if they sold a lot or only got a few in...

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You won't have to worry about lines like the iPhone or whatever. The iPod is mass produced and will have plenty of stock at Apple retail stores (and on Apple.com), normal electronics dealers probably within the next week. The thing to consider though is that Apple may not be shipping the announced iPods right away anyway, so just wait to see what happens when things get announced on the 5th before you start planning when you want to pick it up :)