All iPads Best Way to Buy on Launch Day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redman042, Oct 22, 2013.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm planning to upgrade from my iPad 3 to the iPad Air at launch. I'd like to get it on launch day or within a few days of that. I'm not a camper nor do I have time to sit in line for many hours.

So what's the best strategy to get one quick without sitting in line? Those of you that picked up the 5s at launch (which also had no preorder), what was your experience?

If I order online Nov 1 (and do it quick), what's the best shipping speed?

Does the Apple Store typically start orders at Midnight?

Should I do ship to store? Will they have that?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

2. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Get up at three in the morning!

3. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Just order it online. Take it from someone who was there for the 5s launch- your sleep is more important. Order it online and get it in a couple days. Just my $0.02.

4. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

It just took 2 days? Was there a high shipping charge for that?

5. bobright macrumors 601

Good thread OP not sure what route I'm going either. If you look on the Apple Store app it says it will be available for ship-to-store not sure if its same day pick up though, can somebody shed some light on this?

I'll probably just walk into the Apple Store at about 10:45 def don't want to wait in line with all those clown genius clapping and taking photos. I just want to be in and out.

6. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I'll prob order at 3am. Soo annoyed there is no preorder. I wouldn't expect to get the iPad sooner then a week after the release date.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Oh so it'll be available for preorder around 12:00am PST then if we chose instore pickup when the store opens we could pick it up?

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm just going to use the App Store app to order online at midnight like I did for my iPhone 5S. The app usually gets update slightly earlier them the web site. Depending on the estimated wait for delivery I may then try to buy one from an Apple store and if I do cancel my online order.

9. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I don't know about that. Would be awesome if that's true but doubt it.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I wouldn't bet on that. Depending on the demand you could be waiting as long as 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it will be a lot less. I preordered my iPhone 5S right at midnight and had to wait two and a half weeks for it. Admittedly the iPad demand may not be as high but its still going to be a very popular device.

11. bobright macrumors 601

I just called Apple and the "genius" did not know if it'll be available for instore pick yet it says so on the Apple store app smh

12. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

How freaking annoying is that. They should know.

----------

I ordered my wife a 5s at 330am est and got it the following Wednesday. I hope it's not 2-3 weeks.

13. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Shipping is free and it'd probably be there by Monday or Tuesday.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think in the US the original delivery time was much shorter at least for the first few hours after they went up for order on Apple's site. It was longer from the beginning here in the UK. If its the same for the iPads you may well get it within a week of the launch date.

15. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm in the U.S. so I will try the midnight order and hope for 2-3 day delivery. If that doesn't pan out I might try hitting a few stores in the morning.

16. bobright macrumors 601

I will try getting it first day but if I have to wait at least when I get it just please HAVE a uniform screen for the most part, no dead pixels and no chips/knicks.