Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Hi all,

I've used Audio Hijack before to capture streaming audio, but is there an easier way? I'm trying to save an audio file that will stream without having to actually let it play the whole time. Looking for a faster way. The stream is not live.

I thought maybe you could use the activity window to do this, but the actual audio file doesn't show up. Any suggestions? I thought I remember seeing a way to do this on some webpage before, but at the time I didn't need it and I can't remember what was suggested.

Thanks.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
amberashby, I'm not sure if this would work or not, but maybe you could copy the stream from your browser's cache, as long as its not an encapsulated stream (opening the stream redirects you to another file). If it is, there may be a way to get at the original source. Other that trying this, using something like Audio Hijack is probably the best and easiest option.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
jdechko said:
amberashby, I'm not sure if this would work or not, but maybe you could copy the stream from your browser's cache, as long as its not an encapsulated stream (opening the stream redirects you to another file). If it is, there may be a way to get at the original source. Other that trying this, using something like Audio Hijack is probably the best and easiest option.

I'm starting to recall part of the tip I read on how to do this. You need to be able to identify the web address that the encapsulated stream is using. Do you know how to do that? Once you know that you can paste it directly into Safari and then use activity window to save the stream.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.