Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
What's the best way to check for webpage compatibility with IE short of booting in windows or having a windows machine nearby? I've been using IEnetrenderer (website) but its too slow and doesn't work at all for pages that you have to login to. Don't want to have to boot in windows or use another machine -- any other methods out there?

I really hate IE...

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
The problem with anything else that "emulates" ie, is just that. It emulates it. You can't really be sure you are viewing it the exact same way the real browser does. Things like browsershots.org are nice, because it uses real virtual machines to do the screen capture. However, they have limited usefulness, because you can't test actual user interaction, with things like javascript, etc...

All that to say, I think the only way that will really be of use to you it to have a dedicated pc, a windows bootcamp partition, or a vm with windows installed.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
There is IEs4OSX that will let you run IE5/6 without running Windows. It's not wonderful, but lets you interact with pages and not just look at screen shots. It's a little sluggish, but works for me, and it's free.

If you have a business web site or something professional that you truly need to make sure things are working in IE, then virtualization in the better way to go. For the hobbyist like me though, IEs4OSX does the job.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
What's the best way to check for webpage compatibility with IE short of booting in windows or having a windows machine nearby? I've been using IEnetrenderer (website) but its too slow and doesn't work at all for pages that you have to login to. Don't want to have to boot in windows or use another machine -- any other methods out there?

I really hate IE...

Use Parallels or Fusion to run a Windows VM.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
I don't want to have to boot in windows.

IEs40SX was just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting that! Its not exact but its pretty close for the more obvious stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.