Best way to check your MBP speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

When I originally bought my i7 I thought it was super speedy, until I used a friends with the same specs (stock setup). His is much snappier than mine. Was wondering what the best way to check my performance would be?

A benchmark tool perhaps?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you guys have the same specs, benchmark software should spit out the same numbers for both computers. Are you sure that your friend's computer doesn't have a faster hard drive or SSD?

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Use Geekbench to test it.
    Usually, it depends on what you usually use for.
    Also, the add-ons and background apps might slow it down.
    Don't worry. Your computer would last at least 3 years without any problems at all.

Maybe SSD or More RAM?

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Nope, exact same computer. One of the biggest things that I notice is his applications open super fast while mine sometime sit and bounce for about 10 seconds. Especially the iWork applications.

I'm not too worried about it, just hope that all is well.

So geekbench will give us the same numbers because we have the same hardware?

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Sounds like he snuck an SSD into his computer on you. Nothing beats the speed of an SSD. Hell, my 13" will crush your computer in terms of boot and load times. That's just how good SSD's are.

And you can use geekbench or xbench for checking benchmarks.

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

That doesn't sound right. I just tried Pages, Keynote and Numbers on my 2010 13" MBP (2.4)

Pages 4 Bounces and open (about 4 seconds)
    Keynote 3 Bounces and open (about 3 seconds)
    Numbers First Bounce (a second or so)

Either your MBP is clogged up with some iffy programs that are hogging resources or something else is wrong.

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Thats what I'm thinking. My girlfriend also has the 2.4 13" and her programs are much snappier than mine : /

As far as programs I've got CS4, iWork, Adium, Firefox, Chrome, Steam, Bioshock, Age of Empires 3, and NTRConnect. Pretty sure everything else came with the OS.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i like to open up all my programs like imovie or final cut pro with safari open on several pages up a video playing with diablo 2 running and some other stuff like iphoto and itunes, so a basic afternoon for me and open up the activity monitor in the utilities folder and see my processors running capacity and my ram consumptions, i know its not literal speed tests but its me testing things that i do, my processor doing what i mentioned used 100% of my processor all the time and 3.5 gb of ram and i just upgraded from 2.5 gb to 4 gb of ram >_< hehe after 4 years my consumption has increased 1000x over =D hehe but yeah it allows me to know my computer is working for what i need it to =D gl

9. decoyman macrumors newbie

Fonts?

Do you have a ton of fonts? Installing many fonts (I'm a designer, and ran into this myself) will slow a computer down A TON.

I installed some font management software and was back up to normal speed immediately after.