Best way to clean a black macbook with keyboard marks on screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stagmeister, Jul 7, 2010.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I own a Black macbook (summer 2008, so about two years old) which is in good condition except that it is dirty - especially the screen, which seems to have picked up keyboard marks which won't seem to come out. I have been reading about the best way to clean it, and there seem to be 4 general suggestions:

1. Clean using a damp microfiber cloth like an eyeglasses cleaner.
    2. Clean using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    3. Clean using soap & water.
    4. Purchase a specific mac cleaning toolkit like iKlear.

I tried option (1) a while ago and it cleaned the black macbook's body pretty well but not the screen. I have heard that (2) is great for the body but that it will damage the screen because the magic eraser is like "damp sand paper." That doesn't sound very screen-friendly. I have also heard that (3) will damage the screen's protective coating, though theoretically soap should be able to lift off any oily residue on the screen. (4) could work but it is more expensive, and I am not sure if it will work or not.

Any good suggestions? Modern macs are fabulous and should be good enough to last years and years -- I am hoping this one will last at least 3 more, making a total of 5 years -- but I want to keep it clean. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. woodsy macrumors newbie

iKlear shifts almost anything from the screen and casing.
    It seems expensive but it will return your mackbook to very decent state.

I'd go for that in the long run, but surely a damp microfibre would shift 95% of things.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

If you have keyboard scuffs in the LCD, nothing will remove these. Iklear and microfiber cloth work great on cleaning the LCD.