Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
what's the best way to physically clean a macbook/ibook? i'm pretty strict on keeping my hardware clean....but the outside plastic gets fingermarks too easily.

oh another thing. i remember w/ my old grey dell laptop, i had this dark palm mark on the sides of the trackpad after awhile. already, i noticed a slight dark blur w/ my macbook from looking at it at an angle. is there some kind of cleaning product that takes it away? water and a towel don't help that much.

Losium

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
Orlando,FL
A lot of people have mentioned using a Mr.Clean magic eraser.
I have no personal experience with it though.

Best of luck.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I've always used Windex wipes on my PB's screen and casing. It gets rid of all the marks, and leaves very few fibers. Though I haven't used it, iKlear is often mentioned in such threads and is usually highly recommended. :)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
You need four items:
Bucket
Water
Mop
Bleach

I would get iKlear. They make good stuff. I don't know if they have specific MacBook Pro stuff, but my guess is either they do or it works just as fine on them. Their stuff works for PB, iBooks, iPod, etc etc, I'm sure it works with MBP.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Unless it's really scratched up, iKlear is a waste of money. Don't bother with it.

On my iBook I used a magic eraser (gets rid of fingerprints and worked in dirt like a charm) and some windex on a soft cloth. Total cost < $3.

iKlear is expensive.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
Losium said:
A lot of people have mentioned using a Mr.Clean magic eraser...
Those things are awesome, although I have never used one to clean a laptop. When my wife got those the 1st time we were both amazed at how well it worked. We were going through our house trying to find things to clean with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.