best way to clean aluminum iMac screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by matthewcap, Jan 10, 2008.

1. matthewcap macrumors member

just wondering what is best way to clean screen of new iMac, they included a microfiber cloth that works well with dust...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was going to mention the cloth but you figured that out. Some people use it as a mouse pad!

I use a solution of rubbing alcohol with some water and that works fine for me. Others might suggest iKlear or iClean. I've used iClean and it works very well too.

Edit: I just realized that the screen is covered by glass now. It's more then likely safe to use window clear on it now. :rolleyes:

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have not had experience but read that the cloth is meant to clean the aluminium and that coupled with dust on your screen could cause scratching.

4. blumoon macrumors member

I use the cloth that came with it and water. Works great, not a fingerprint or streak left.
    I then rinse out the cloth well and dry for next time.

5. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

The 'Black mouse pad' cloth is microfibre which should be excellent for cleaning the glass.

If you want anything bigger, I'd suggest going to an Optician and getting a cloth that would come with a pair of glasses - I got a HUGE one for some reason when I got my last pair (yes, they're very thick) and I've used that with a lens cleaning solution which will work on Plastic as well as Glass. I've noticed that in side-facing sunlight it becomes VERY easy to spot the 'spots' on the screen.

Don't use:

Hand Soap
    Anything with Acetate
    Dry Kleenex / tissues as this is abrasive

Cheers

6. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

The cloth definitely wont scratch the glass, and is not meant for the aluminum :)

7. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I usually use a very fine grit wet sandpaper, around 2000... No really all I use is a microfiber cloth, and a dab of water where needed, no gimmicky screen cleaning chemicals

8. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

haha my face dropped when i read the start of your post.

9. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I'll 2nd the fine-grit wet sandpaper. After all, it's used by people who want to grind mirrors for telescopes isn't it???

If the sandpaper leaves smearing, which it can do if it's been used previously on the inside of brake drums, I'd suggest using an angle grinder, BUT ONLY ON SLOW SPEEDS mind you:D:D:D

Cheers

10. oli2140 macrumors 6502

This works great on LCD TVs aswell...

11. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

A few months back I got a free synthetic-feather duster with a can of furniture polish. It's absolutely perfect for cleaning my iMac screen and also the black, glossy plastic of my LCD TV.

OK, so I look as camp as a row of pink tents doing it but it gets the dust of fantastically.

12. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Is the 'glass' in from of the iMac LCD really glass or some type of plastic? I've tapped it and it sounds like plastic.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's glass.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Windolene

Thats all you need, found in any cupboard ;)

15. flipperanubi, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  16. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Toilet paper can work well, so long as it not too smooth. The ones with the slightly embossed patterns add good traction and clean up things very nicely. Beware too thin paper though... if your finger pokes through while wiping, it can scratch. Just make sure you clean small areas – wiping the whole area with long strokes tends to result in smears.

17. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Very funny! Just remember to wash your hands afterwards:D MC

18. Carressa macrumors member

Best thing to clean dust off of screen is a Swifter. (swifters rule!)
    Best thing for those smuggy finger prints (that you can't remember putting on there) is a microfiber cloth dry or slightly dampened.:D