Best way to "clean" hard drive with reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tennismanclay, Jun 26, 2008.

1. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Ok so there is a lot of crud on my computer, stuff from almost a year ago that i downloaded used once and never used again. There is a ton of junk in my library folder and i feel kinda cramped knowing it's all there, yes OCD.

So i have been thinking of doing a fresh install of leopard, after backing up my things on an external drive through time machine. Once i have my clean install i would then drag and drop my apps that i use and reorganize my settings and such. My question is what problems would i encounter. I have tons of music and photos and applications. I figure i would have to reinstall things such as photoshop and FCE. And then stuff like garageband i would have to get all the things out of the library to make that work. I guess it would take a while to get my dock and bookmarks and settings back to normal but, i think it would be worth it.

Is there a similar way to do this? And would i use the install disks that came with my computer or our leopard family pack disk?

any suggestions welcome

-Clay

2. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If your install disks have Leopard on it then you can use that. If not, you can use the Leopard family pack disks.

As far as how to go about cleaning up your app folder ... not too sure on that one. Copy your app folder to one of your external drives and then go through it? It sounds like you have a decent plan as it is.

Honestly though, the easiest way is to use an app like AppZapper to get rid of any .plist files, etc. so you don't have to reinstall. That coupled with a good maintenance app like Mainmenu will keep your computer running in top condition, no need to reinstall.