Best way to clean iMac speakers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Serban, May 19, 2014.

1. Serban Suspended

Has anyone find out the easiest way to clean the iMac speakers from late 2012 to present?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. Serban thread starter Suspended

you never looked inside? after 6 months i look today with my iphone 5 lantern and there is dust in there !!

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Never looked, although the speakers on the iMac are crap so I hooked up some external ones.

I presume you could just use a can of compressed air although that might not be recommended as you might damage them.

Try here and see what Apple recommend (if anything):

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226

5. Serban thread starter Suspended

yes nothing about speakers...i am thinking to use a hairdryer to blow the dust outside

6. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I hear on the dust. This machine collects dust like crazy. When I put some extra ram in my machine, I had it face down on the bed and gave it a puff of air and could not believe how much dust I got out. I use a bulb blower since it's pretty gentle.
    Power down, unplug, face down and remove the ram door. Then use a bulb or canned air to get the dust out.

7. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Although I recently read that it was not a good idea due to static discharge, I've always used a regular vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out of any grillwork on my computers.

8. thedeske macrumors 6502a

I would vac the bottom first and then use compressed air from the rear vent area downward. Blowing from the bottom will move some of the dust upward inside. Perhaps blow around the bottom after the first 2 steps.