Best way to clean inside of Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

It prettyyyy dusty in there.

on another note, whats up with the track ball on apple's mouses. how weak, gets dirty doesnt work.. they need to take a lesson from blackberries trackball

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've taken my G5 outside, disassembled the fans and used my air compressor to blow out the dust. It's amazing how much stuff will accumulate over the course of a few months.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

On G5 I know its easy to pull the fans, but on Mac Pro, is that a difficult process?

Since I've had my Mac Pro (Mid 07), I haven't given it a hardcore cleaning on the insides.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

getting the fans out isn't super easy.

i use compressed air.

6. pprior macrumors 65816

No reason to be taking out any fans. Just blow some compressed air over the heat sink area and more importantly over the video card fins, which generally get clogged faster.

Blowing the case with a can of compressed air every year or so should be all that is needed unless you live in a very dusty/hairy (cats!) area.

7. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'll need to buy a can of compressed air and just spray the whole thing down. Anything I should watch out for?

8. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried similar cleaning methods, I'll give this a go with a micro cloth

9. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

What about sticking a high powered vacuum in and around it and allowing it all to flow out? Are the components likely to come off?

10. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

11. pprior macrumors 65816

Vacuum cleaners can generate static electricity and can fry a computer. Generally NOT recommended.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unless you have one that is designed not to. ;) I've seen them used to clean rackmount systems, industrial laser printers, and Test & Measurement Equipment. ;)

The cheap one I found is $390, intermediate $800, and cleanroom $1700 (anti static hoses are an option; no price given).

Definitely not cheap. :eek: :p

13. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

14. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

TNT, Dynamite, Nuclear warheads. Whatever explosives you have laying around will get rid of the Dust.

But if you want yourself or the machine to survive the umm 'cleaning' process then I'd suggest a can of compressed air and a dry unused paint brush. And by unused I mean one that has yet to be touched by paint.

15. grue macrumors 65816

The mighty mouse is worthless trash. Do yourself a huge favour and get a mouse that isn't junk.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Even the old standard Microsoft Mouse works better than the Mighty Mouse. I'm using an MS mouse on my iMac.

17. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm using the optical mouse that I paid $20 for when I got my huge gateway laptop in 2002.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about a dyson? Does the job here and removes all the dust!!

19. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

I must admit, I used my Dyson to clean the inside of my iMac G4 when I had it in bits on the kitchen table last year (I was installing a new hard drive). The suction is powerful enough that it could be held several inches away from the circuit boards (i.e. hopefully out of range of static sparks) and still suck up all the dust.

HB

20. giffut macrumors 6502

Oh ...

... my God: I read "antistatic horses"!!! But maybe they are worth a try, who knows ;-)

You should be fine with compressed air and your own deep breaths. That´s how I do it and it works out just fine.

21. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Thanks for that! I didn't have a clue (obviously :eek:). I'll look into those cleaners too - thanks nanofrog!:)

22. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

I heard the same about using a regular air compressor(not compressed air in a can)

is this true?

23. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

I just used a vacuum cleaner to suck dust off my XT1900 a few months ago. The dust was choking the graphics card causing it to overheat.

Looks like I need to do it again once of these days.

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

yard brush+ hosepipe :p

seriously though if you have to ask how to clean a dusty object........

I hear ya on the trackball tho', then again , Apple wants folk to buy new every 3 years or so so why wouldn't they design the trackball to gunge up beyond usable quickly , they could make such better products but dont IMHO

25. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

How many PSI do those cans generate?...am also thinking of using my airbrush compressor {1.5 hp