Best way to clean iPhone port

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikejackson1996, Jun 3, 2016.

1. mikejackson1996 Suspended

I have a 6s plus and I want to clean charging port there dust

I tried my sim tool from a previous iPhone did I do right thing

There was black spots and dust inside the port

My charging port I see a tiny gap on the side is that an issue

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I've successfully used a wooden toothpick. The important thing is to use something just rigid enough to do the job but soft enough not to scratch any contacts.

3. mikejackson1996 thread starter Suspended

Mine didn't have dust next to the charging pins it had dust before the pins

4. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Buy a can of compressed air and blow a few blasts into the port. Not too close though... hold the can about 6 inches away. No need to use an object like a toothpick unless some lint or fuzz gets caught on the contacts.

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I found that over time pocket lint had been compressed little by little into the port of my 6. I eventually noticed that the lightning connector occasionally didn't seat fully and correctly and therefore would lose connectivity during charging.

With a flashlight and a toothpick I was able to pick at the compacted lint to loosen it up and then blow it out with compressed air. That solved the problem immediately and fully.

6. wlossw, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

Be careful not to hit the mic or speaker port with compressed air... You can blow the diaphragms. (Speaking from unfortunate experience with an old iPhone)

7. mikejackson1996 thread starter Suspended

Thanks for the tip people but I used the sim tool from my 3GS did I end up damaging my iPhone 6s Plus

When I put the flashlight in the port I still see the gray spot in the charging port and a small gap in the port it self

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I don't think you understand just what you're looking at.

The electrical contacts on the port are self-wiping (that's the term used in the electronics industry - it means they clean themselves each time you plug-in and unplug), and are on the upper and lower surfaces of the port, not at the far end/bottom. It's very unlikely you're able to see dust/dirt on those contacts, due to the viewing angle and narrowness of the slot. Because of their design, it's very unlikely they have dust/dirt on them.

What you're probably seeing is meaningless dust/lint on the far end of the port - as long as the connector still clicks into place, you don't have to worry about that. Eventually, pocket lint may build up at the bottom of the port and maybe it will keep the connector from clicking into place. To clean out that lint, I recommend using a thin, flexible, plastic pick (like the tooth pick/flosser I've shown below. Be very gentle - just enough to dislodge the lint from the bottom of the port.

Do not use the SIM tool - it's too stiff, and not well designed for the task.

IMG_4586.jpg

9. mikejackson1996 thread starter Suspended

I see and I Also see a tiny gap in the inside opening of the charging port on the sides is that's a design flaw or hadware issue

10. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The "gap" is not a design flaw or a hardware issue - you're probably seeing the parts of the mechanism that click into the depressions on the edges of the plug - the part that clicks.

11. mikejackson1996 thread starter Suspended

Not that way before that the lighting port metal bracket holder the inside of it where the lighting port is there tiny gaps on the side it's not the edge of the plugs

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

13. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

The best and easiest thing to clean ports are these. The rubber is "grippy" and picks up all lint. The rubber is soft and flexible so you won't damage anything. I also use these (very gently) to clean the speaker grills.
    [​IMG]

14. steven_meritt1 macrumors newbie

steven_meritt1

Great idea. I have soft picks similar to these so I'll give it a try.

15. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Also helps to turn pockets inside out every so often to remove, lint, debris at bottom of pocket. Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

16. rstark18 macrumors 6502a