Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I have had my 13' macbook pro for about a year now

I have noticed dust/hair etc are getting trapped in the keyboard.
What's the best way to clean it and get rid of it?

Do I have to go to the Apple store and pay for them to clean it for me?

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Have you tried compressed air? That usually works for me.

nope havent because i heard compressed air wasnt good since liquid gets into the keys:eek:

----------

I use a very fine top quality varnishing brush to get in between the keys. Then I just wipe with a damp micro fibre cloth and I'm good. The very soft brushes are the ones to use.
will the brush get between the keys though?

which exact ones do you use...can you post me a link from amazon because all this hair is annoying me!

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
Shave your head.

I suggest a keyboard cover for protection against future dust/hair getting in there. I use it when I need to work at the dinner table and might be touching food at the same time. Say no to greasy keys :D

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I have had my 13' macbook pro for about a year now

I have noticed dust/hair etc are getting trapped in the keyboard.
What's the best way to clean it and get rid of it?

Do I have to go to the Apple store and pay for them to clean it for me?

if ur laptop is on use an app called keyboard cleaner that locks the keyboard and then clean with micro fibre. also perhaps consider using a vacuum and hovering th enozzle slightly over it .

apple wont clean it. theyll only replace the upper case, which is expensive... in the case of my 15 inch retina it would cost
about 425 dollars us.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Actually (as CHMK said as well) it is generally MUCH more preferable to use a small (or not too close) vacuum (with plastic/rubber nozzle so as not to mark the computer) along with a Small Brush to loosen any Dirt and Fuzzy Bits up.. if you BLOW air into Keyboard, some of those items will surely end up inside your MBP and under the keys, in the fans, etc etc..

And other than that, I would suggest a ~Monthly (or as needed) cleaning as such, and a Wiping of the Case and Keys with a slightly dampened micro-fibre cloth to pick up any Dirt and Oils off your hands.. It will be surprising what you get off of it and how much better a CLEAN Machine looks and feels..

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Shave your head.

I suggest a keyboard cover for protection against future dust/hair getting in there. I use it when I need to work at the dinner table and might be touching food at the same time. Say no to greasy keys :D

its called i skin right? I might get it actually....

----------

Actually (as CHMK said as well) it is generally MUCH more preferable to use a small (or not too close) vacuum (with plastic/rubber nozzle so as not to mark the computer) along with a Small Brush to loosen any Dirt and Fuzzy Bits up.. if you BLOW air into Keyboard, some of those items will surely end up inside your MBP and under the keys, in the fans, etc etc..

And other than that, I would suggest a ~Monthly (or as needed) cleaning as such, and a Wiping of the Case and Keys with a slightly dampened micro-fibre cloth to pick up any Dirt and Oils off your hands.. It will be surprising what you get off of it and how much better a CLEAN Machine looks and feels..

Yeah my macbook gets so dirty easily. I am not sure if it is because i sit next to a window but my screen and keys need almost cleaning every two days:eek:

not sure if i should just get that iskin macbook key's cover instead?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or equivalent).

I would not recommend that because its abrasive and might affect the finish of the keyboard

A soft brush as mentioned to get the big stuff, and a damp cloth for the rest.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I would not recommend that because its abrasive and might affect the finish of the keyboard

A soft brush as mentioned to get the big stuff, and a damp cloth for the rest.

what about if there is dust inside the keyboard which cant be seen

i dont want to take the keys off because i am not good with that sort of stuff and dont want to risk breaking it!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what about if there is dust inside the keyboard which cant be seen

i dont want to take the keys off because i am not good with that sort of stuff and dont want to risk breaking it!

Don't take the keys off the keyboard there is a high probability you'll break something.

Perhaps a small vacuum as mentioned from the post above?

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Don't take the keys off the keyboard there is a high probability you'll break something.

Perhaps a small vacuum as mentioned from the post above?

i have a vacum

maybe put it on low and hope it works?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I use a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol, but my main problem is getting gunk in between the keys. I've also used compressed air. Keep it an inch or two away and then you won't get liquid.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Best way to clean macbook pro keyboard?

I recommend the OXO Good Grips Electronics Cleaning Brush.

You can get it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050B6CYW

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_k...NING+BRUSH+FOR+COMPUTER+CELL+PHONE+PDA+CAMERA

6u4a4uta.jpg

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
actually apple does clean the laptop up for you. I have given my macbooks a couple of times to service and when i got it back it was as good as new, they clean the keyboard display even the insides. That is what i was told by the guy at the AASP

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I use a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol, but my main problem is getting gunk in between the keys. I've also used compressed air. Keep it an inch or two away and then you won't get liquid.

As far as cleaning the keys themselves, I use isopropyl alcohol. You don't need to be that dainty with it. I just put a little on a paper towel or terry cloth towel and rub it on. I've cleaned all of my laptop and other keyboards that way for many years and have never had any issues.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I recommend the OXO Good Grips Electronics Cleaning Brush.

You can get it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050B6CYW

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_k...NING+BRUSH+FOR+COMPUTER+CELL+PHONE+PDA+CAMERA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Gr...428&sr=8-1&keywords=electronic+cleaning+brush

I am in the UK....is it this onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Electronics-Cleaning/dp/B0050B6CYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376176428&sr=8-1&keywords=electronic+cleaning+brush

What do you think is better....the brush you recommend or an air duster?

----------

As far as cleaning the keys themselves, I use isopropyl alcohol. You don't need to be that dainty with it. I just put a little on a paper towel or terry cloth towel and rub it on. I've cleaned all of my laptop and other keyboards that way for many years and have never had any issues.

will a standard lcd screen/iklear be okay to use to clean the actual keys?

----------

im worried about using an air duster incase i damage the macbook

not sure if i should get a brush or air duster

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Vacuums are, in general, not recommended for cleaning computer components as they create an electrostatic charge that can damage components. The use of compressed air is the much preferred alternative, and the only way you will get liquid in the computer is if you spray with the can upside down. Cleaning out the keys is a tricky business, and a combination of compressed air (to blow out dust and small debris) combined with something along the lines of the OXO brush or a q-tip would be best for cleaning.

Lord Xeb

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Someplace in the Nor' East
I use rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and rub down the keyboard. Generally, that will take most of the dirt and nasty off of there.

Just a note, don't leave a cloth with alcohol on a mac keyboard, it will cause the paint to flake loose from the keys and to fix it will require a new top case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.