Best way to clean Macbook screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MortimerJazz, May 11, 2008.

1. MortimerJazz macrumors regular

Hi there,

My Macbook screen is getting a bit dusty, and when outside I can see there are a few smears on it too, so I'm looking to give it a good clean so that it returns to its former glory.

What's the best way of doing this? I don't particularly want to use water, but a piece of toilet roll run across the screen gently doesn't really give it the clean that it needs!

Thanks alot

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

From Apple:

3. DouglasP macrumors newbie

Probably not the right way, but I always just spray a squirt of glass general household cleaner on a paper towel and give all my computers a good wiping all at once, then tell the kids that they do not have to "touch" the screen to point things out :)

4. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i use some h20 + paper towel...gets rid of everything i don't want on there and i don't have to worry if the screen coating will get damaged during the process

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. You should buy iKlear:
    http://www.amazon.com/KLEARSCREEN-i...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210612003&sr=8-2

I have used it for my apple and non apple laptops/electronic products over the last 4-5 years for the screens and the cases themselves. It's WONDERFUL and SAFE.

2. You Should Use a MICROFIBER, LINT-FREE, cleaning cloth (like the one that comes with iKlear) to avoid scratches and dust/paper fibers being left behind after cleaning.

3. You should NEVER EVER use household cleaner like Windex or anything like that on an LCD screen. NEVER. To the person who posted that, I have to say, if you've been doing that to LCD's that's really not a good idea and you may want to do some simple googling to find out why.

Even on CRT's it's not the best because those types of cleaners have a tendency to hurt the coatings on the screens.

Never use any sort of alcohol based cleaning wipes on LCD screens either. They are just as bad as any household cleaner.

4. Always make sure your laptop is powered off and the battery is removed as well.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Eyeglass cleaner of any sort will work.

Windex and it's ilk should definitely NOT be used.

7. nick123222 macrumors member

Do what it says in the user manual

I have a Macbook pro and I did what it says in the user manual to clean the screen - dampen the included display cleaning cloth and just wipe the screen. It left horrible streaks all over the screen. :( I didn't know why this was until I had a brain wave a few days later - my area has really hard water that is full of different minerals and stuff so I decided to try cleaning it again with filtered water and to my surprise (I just used my normal Brita filter), it worked perfectly and only left one or two steaks that were easy to buff out. :D :apple:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Cleaning an LCD Screen

You can purchase screen-cleaning kits at computer supply stores or your local electronics outlet, but they are expensive and the stores aren't always convenient.

Here is a really inexpensive and simple suggestion. All you need are four items:
    Spray bottle
    Distilled water
    White vinegar or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
    Clean, soft cloth

Mix the distilled water and the vinegar or alcohol. (Never use tap water. Tap water has minerals in it that will leave streaks.) The best ratio is 1:1, which would be like a half-cup of distilled water and a half-cup of vinegar or alcohol. Put the mixture into the spray bottle.

Make sure the LCD screen or television is turned off. It is much easier to see the dirt with the screen turned off.

Spray the mixture onto the soft clean cloth. Never spray the mixture directly onto the screen. The screen is delicate and that much force could damage the screen. Now gently wipe the screen with the dampened cloth. Start at the top of the screen, and very gently make your way down the screen. Let your screen dry before turning it back on. This will only be a few seconds.

A couple of hints that will help keep your screen lasting longer:

Remember not to touch the screen with your fingers or hands. The oil and dirt from your hands can damage the screen by burning the pixels out. Just like your mother used to tell you, keep your hands to yourself.

If all you need is a quick dusting of the LCD screen, try using anti-static and anti-cling sheets that are used for the dryer. They are great for removing the dust without damaging the screen.