Best way to clean out remaining crud from installers when .app file already trashed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Loccy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Loccy macrumors member

Basically, I found out about AppZapper after I'd already "deleted" a number of installer-based applications by dragging them to the trash. AppZapper is great but expects you not to have been a schmuck and already deleted the main app file. Does anyone have any suggestions how best to clean out what's left? There were umpteen "registry/DLL cruft" cleaners for Windows, are there any analogous utilities for OSX?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since there is no registry or .dll files in Mac OS X, installation and removal of apps is much cleaner than in Windows. Most apps have all the supporting stuff wrapped in the .app package. In most cases, simply dragging the .app file to the Trash does the trick. Occasionally, an app will leave user preference files behind, which take up negligible disk space and don't really "clutter", the way Windows installations do. You're probably quite safe not to do anything. However, if it really bothers you, you could try re-installing the app, then use AppZapper to remove it.

3. glasserp macrumors regular

4. Gaelinic macrumors regular

So I downloaded this app. But how do you install it? I'm new to Macs.

I downloaded the file to my Downloads folder. It has a .dmg extension. When I open it, I see two files: One called Appcleaner and another folder titled Applications. What do I do here?

Do I just copy the icon titled Appcleaner (not the .dmg file) to my applications folder in Finder and forget about the folder titled Applications in the .dmg file? Do I then delete the whole Applecleaner1.2.2.dmg file?

Thanks for your help.

Gaelinic

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Applications folder located in the disk image (.dmg file) is just an alias. If you drag the AppCleaner icon to that alias, it will install into your Applications directory on your hard disk.

Once you've done that you highlight the .dmg and press Command (Apple key) + E to eject it.

So essentially you have the process correct.

6. glasserp macrumors regular

and once it is ejected you then can go to your downloads folder and delete the .dmg file.

just an observation: i think this can be confusing for a lot of people who are new to macs. in some of my classes i'll see people browsing using firefox who still run the app from the .dmg on their desktop. i don't think they understand that you can/should drag to apps folder or anywhere really, then discard the .dmg.

7. Gaelinic macrumors regular

Eject the .dmg file from my Finder window? The one listed under drives?

Also, before reading your response, I just dragged the Appcleaner icon staright to the Applications folder in Finder (instead of the alias). Is that sufficient or should I uninstall it and then follow your directions? Or, did my way get the exact same result?

Sorry, if I'm being persistent, I'm just anal and want to make sure I get the same result.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Gaelinic

8. TheZA macrumors regular

9. glasserp macrumors regular

Yes, dragging the appcleaner icon straight to the applications folder is also fine, exact same results. once it copies all the way to your applications folder, click the eject button from the .dmg that's on the sidebar in finder (under devices). once it ejects you can go back to your downloads folder and move the .dmg to the trash, and you're down.