Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have eye glasses cleaner that is safe for all glasses and sun glasses so I use that, which I guess is okay cause lens also have coating so it doesn't scratch that, but anyone use anything else?

Don't the Mac book pros have a coating? I want to make sure I don't rub that off. not that I would know if I did I guess.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Water and a microfibre cloth. Just damp.

I’d never use any of those chemical cleaners. Well, obviously water is made of chemicals, but I think it’s obvious what I mean.
Good to know. But how will the damn microfiber cloth clean it well if damp. Wouldn't you need a dry cloth to.

I don't clean often with the eye glass cleaner but when I do I spray cloth not screen

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Be aware that the MacBook Pro display has a VERY THIN "sprayed on" anti-glare coating.

Any amount of "cleaning" it is going to start to wear it down, sooner or later.
Hence, "StainGate".

Your goal should be to "clean the screen" AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

DON'T touch the display with your fingers at all. Pay special attention to this when you open/close the lid.

DON'T "wipe" it with a cloth (using pressure on the surface). If there's a little dust on it, just lightly "dust" the cloth across the surface.

If there's something there that won't dust off, don't use anything on the display other than water on a moist cloth.
Even then, use as little surface pressure as possible to dislodge it.

Reactions: MBAir2010

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
You didn't mention what MBP you have. The 2018 or later models aren't very easy to shutoff, but that doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

My process is simple...

1. Damp microfiber with water for cleaning the entire computer from the chassis to the keyboard to the screen and etc.
2. A second dry microfiber for "polishing" the whole thing.

Obviously I do them in stages, but you get the idea.

I just lock the computer first and clean it since any key press or trackpad press powers the 2018 or later models on.

How often you clean is up to you. I clean mine at minimum once a week, but more often 2x a week or more. I can't stand dirty electronics though...

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
A guy at the Apple store told me they used Whoosh! so that is what I use, but i don't recall if he mentioned if they use it for iOS devices only or computer displays too. Just make sure to spray on a microfiber cloth then wipe the screen, don't spray on screen. I use it for everything.

I used it for sometime, so far so good, and effective.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Take cloth, rub vigorously. I use screen cleaner or whatever is on hand as there's more to life than worrying about such trivia. Use your computer as intended and enjoy it for what it is, forget trying to keep it like some "holy" relic. Trust me it will be more fun that way...

Q-6

Reactions: LogicalApex

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Be aware that the MacBook Pro display has a VERY THIN "sprayed on" anti-glare coating.

Any amount of "cleaning" it is going to start to wear it down, sooner or later.
Hence, "StainGate".

Your goal should be to "clean the screen" AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

DON'T touch the display with your fingers at all. Pay special attention to this when you open/close the lid.

DON'T "wipe" it with a cloth (using pressure on the surface). If there's a little dust on it, just lightly "dust" the cloth across the surface.

If there's something there that won't dust off, don't use anything on the display other than water on a moist cloth.
Even then, use as little surface pressure as possible to dislodge it.
I have an early 2013 rMBP that came with scuffs, grime, etc on the screen and it has no signs of staingate, even though it is one of the affected models. I clean it semi-regularly with a microfiber cloth and Woosh cleaner (alcohol and ammonia-free cleaner). No staining issues yet.

Telling people not to clean the screen is probably the worst thing they can do. Judging by where the staining generally happens, It seems to happen from keyboard rubbing (and the oils on the keyboard from your hands) and from where you grab the screen to open it. It's inevitable that you will touch the screen when opening it... that's fine.

Clean it regularly per Apple's instructions, and other than that, just use it and enjoy it.

Reactions: LogicalApex

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Take cloth, rub vigorously. I use screen cleaner or whatever is on hand as there's more to life than worrying about such trivia. Use your computer as intended and enjoy it for what it is, forget trying to keep it like some "holy" relic. Trust me it will be more fun that way...

Q-6

exactly this, use it but don't abuse it is the best approach. I used tech for a long time, I fell in this same issue when the tech is new I treat it extra careful. In reality, use it to the max and enjoy it now not 7 years from now.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Keeping the keyboard clean is probably the best way to avoid staingate. The keys rubbing against the screen (along with the skin oil on the keys) seems to be one of the causes. Plus, this should help the keyboard look better over time (reduces the amount of shineyness that happens over time). Good for the keyboard, good for the screen. Clean the screen every couple of weeks or so with a damp microfiber cloth, and it should look good for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.