Best way to clean white macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scotty56, Jul 4, 2008.

1. scotty56 macrumors regular

Ok, i know i know. This has been posted quite a bit. But I just bought the mr. clean magic eraser to clean some blotchy yellowish spots on my macbook. WOW, what a great way to clean safely and inexpensively.

All you white macbook owners need to buy if you have any stains of any kind.

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Sadly, by the time I knew of Magic Eraser, the damage was already done.

The better way, IMO, is to get some type of shell or skin to cover that area, or type correctly :)))

3. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Mine wasn't that dirty, but 4 months in decided to clean it with the eraser...LOVE it...does a great job.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

When i read the title I figured you were asking what you should you use, and I came here to say the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...

I love that thing!

5. macintoshSL macrumors member

macintoshSL

what do u have to do with the magic eraser? Are there any risks of damaging your keyboard with water?

6. scotty56 thread starter macrumors regular

All you do is wet it, ring it out, and gently wipe down all the top areas of the computer- palmrests, keys, etc. Its pretty cool how well and easy it cleans it.

You might want to turn everything off and take out the battery if youre paranoid. I did not, but I was very careful not to wipe very hard so water would not leech out onto the computer. Same goes for for the keyboard, just get nearly all the water out of the eraser, and lightly rub the keys.

7. Scathach macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say how awesome Magic Eraser is to clean those keys when they get dirty :) I love em!

8. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

In the UK you CANNOT buy the bloody magic eraser ! im soooo annoyed !
    WHAT ELSE IS THERE???!!!

9. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

In Fact Would Any Of You Lot Sell Me Some ??? Please!!!!!!!!

10. Scathach macrumors newbie

11. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

legendary! are you definately sure that will do the same job???

12. Scathach macrumors newbie

Pretty sure its the same stuff, just different name brand :) Do not use this stuff on the lovely polished plastic on the top or bottom of your Macbook... this stuff is slightly abrasive, which is why it cleans so well.

13. McGiord, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

thanks so much . that is excellent . i shall tell everyone if it does the same job =]

15. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I would suggest that you take some time learning how to touch type without resting your palms. It's the best way to keep the MacBook clean.

I pretty sure Magic Eraser has some type of abrasive in it. And the more you use it, the more scratch you'll make and the easier dirt will stick to the palm rests.

If you cannot type without resting your palms, then the next thing to do would be to use some kind of protective film, but it would be like eating a candy with its wrap :D

16. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Actually. i bought the macbook on ebay. so its no my fault ! unless you can find the guy i bought it from and make him pay! :D

17. scotty56 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure my yellowing has come from resting my hand on the palm rest while surfing the internet and scrolling. I dont type resting my hands.

18. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I see. How old is your MacBook? I know that some of the first generation MacBooks had this problem, and Apple was replacing the palm rests.

--
    Patrick