Best way to clean Wireless Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Jun 17, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

Hey, I have heard that people should clean the mighty mouse weekly, I was just wondering what the best advice on cleaning it would be to keep it working properly.

I have the iKlean, should I use that? or would that not be good?

thanks!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Wow, weekly??? I'd say that is an exaggeration of mythic proportions. I have a 1.5 year old Might Mouse and I cleaned it once.

You can rub a Q-tip soaked with some kind of alcohol solution. Then, try this advice from AppleCare: Turn the mouse upside down, take an anti-static dryer sheet and rub on that little ball.

3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Best way to clean a mighty mouse is to go get a Logitech. :-D

4. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

iklean/iklear are good products and do work well.

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol!
    the dryer sheet idea sounds kind of interesting... i might try it sometime.

6. zercool6 macrumors newbie

The BEST way

I know this sounds overkill but I have tried all the non-intensive ways to clean my wireless mighty mouse until it finally just came down to the point where the mouse was no longer working. I finally decided to break the mouse down and clean the mechanism out. Now it works PERFECTLY just like it came out of the box. Here is how to do it.

1. You have to remove the lower retaining ring on the mouse. Look at youtube for a video on how to do this.
    2. if you can help it don't disconnect the ribbon cables from the board. it makes it a whole lot easier to put back together
    3. remove the 3 screws securing the roller ball assembly.
    4. Remove the white retaining cap
    5. TAKE NOTE OF HOW THE ROLLERS ARE POINTED IN A COUNTERCLOCKWISE DIRECTION. VERY IMPORTANT
    6. Remove hair, dust, dirt, whatever else.
    7. Reverse process
    8. Re-secure the lower retaining ring. I used rubber cement to hold it together this way I can easily remove it in a year or so when it quits working again.
    9. Give yourself a hand for saving $70 on a new mouse.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Tried using one. Felt cheap and tacky. And not to mention instead of having a nub on the mouse, I have a bigger nub (receiver) occupying one of my 2 USB ports.

8. RainMeister macrumors member

I've been using the Mighty Mouse for a year now, and have had the ball become slow to respond several times. My solution is simple.

I grab the mouse at the bottom. With the ball facing towards me, I rub the mouse aggressively against my shirt for about 15 seconds. I find that cotton t-shirts work best. Works every time.

No cleaning fluids, special cloths or taking apart the mouse.

9. tfleish macrumors newbie

Bounce dry sheet worked great

I've had this problem many times - always with scrolling down - and usually rubbing the ball against a piece of paper or paper towl works. This time it didn't though so I tried the bounce dry sheet and it started working again right away. And as an added bonus my mouse even smells clean ;) Thanks.