Best way to clean your MBP screen, keyboard and trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Feb 13, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

I've been using one of the little sprays you buy from Office Depot to clean the screan with. Can I use this same solution on the keyboard and trackpad? What is the best and safest method of cleaning the MBP?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nah man don't use that garbage nor anything silly like windex or something. I (and Apple) recommend iKlear because it's alcohol and ammonia free and doesn't have too much of a smell. An 8 Oz bottle will last you atleast a year and shouldn't cost more than $15-$20 bucks with an included microfiber cloth.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Use the cloth that came with your MacBook for the Screen. If you give it 30 seconds of good rubbing it comes out great, and doesn't cost any money.
    In regards to the keyboard and casing, I just use that all natural windex, BUT I spray it onto a clean cloth, and wipe the computer with it. NEVER spray windex or any type of spray directly onto your computer. I ruined the keyboard backlighting on my old 15" PowerBook G4 that way.

4. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

+1

5. skidmarc macrumors member

For the keyboard and case I use Clorox Wipes and for the screen I use some left over Pearle Vision eyeglass cleaner.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... iKlear is great for your MBP

7. aCondor macrumors 6502

It's faster to just put it under a faucet and let the hot water do the work.

8. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

The hot water may be quicker, but I find that soaking it in soapy water before putting it in the dishwasher is more thorough.

9. profoshow macrumors member

...I tried both of these ways, and now my computer and ipad won't come on? The ipad seemed to fit in the dishwasher real well.. like a plate... ;)

10. ryanrich macrumors regular

11. vnle macrumors 6502

+1 iKlear is awesome! It comes with different clothes for different purposes - microfiber for body/screen/trackpad, microfiber terry cloth for dust, and antibacterial cloth for keyboard. I use it weekly and my mbp looks like the day it came out of the box. :D

12. hawse771 macrumors member

13. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

My preference is a large microfiber cloth and water. Clean with one side and buff dry with the other.

14. leefisher macrumors newbie

I use alcohol free baby wipes. Do the job well! Then on the screen I use a damp cloth to clean the glass and make the whole thing look brand new again.