Best Way to Clear Out Space on my HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FubsyGamr, Feb 17, 2011.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys;

So, I have a MacBook Pro with a 320 GB HDD, and I'm down to ~90 GB left. This surprised me a little bit, as I do feel that I have 200 GB worth of information stored on my HDD. I'm wondering, is there a program/way to be able to see exactly what is stored on my HDD, and how much space it is taking up?

My biggest worries are things like: Song/Movie duplicates, install/update files on programs that I have installed and then removed, and programs that I don't realize/remember are as big as they actually are.

Basically, a way to really clean up my HDD?

Thanks for any/all help!

2. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

There are several programs out there, to include "cleanmymac". Be sure to do a backup prior to using any program like this, just in case.

Additionally, you could also spend around $50-$70 and get a 500GB or 750GB 7200rpm drive for the extra storage and speed. IMO, 500GB should be the smallest drive for computers these days. With games and prgrams taking up 6-15GB's of space a piece, plus video's averaging 1GB (SD quality) a piece, drives fill up quickly.

4. extrovertus macrumors newbie

MobileSync??

I just bought Daisy Disk off the Mac App store and it immediately showed me that it was my mobile devices backups (iPhone/iPad/iPod) that were eating countless gigs. It's a very 'pretty' program but it only shows you where the space has gone - it doesn't clean automatically for you.

5. bekk71 macrumors newbie

Disk Inventory this is a open source utility.