Best way to Configure a Mini for HTPC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dmblue, Jun 15, 2012.

1. dmblue macrumors member

Hey guys,

Can you guys share some of your best tricks and tweaks to configure a Mac Mini for a HTPC.

I have mine setup, but usually I will get System Update popups, and more stuff that interupts the HTPC software (XBMC). I thought that XBMC would prevent anything from popping up while I am watching a movie, but most of the times it doesnt.

Also I dont have a KB or Mouse hooked up so it makes it a real P.I.T.A when I have to do this.

Any tips?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

Remote buddy. Will let you custom map the apple remote to any program. You can also use a wii-mote. With the wii-mote and a couple of IR light sources. You can use it as a mouse

Teleport - lets you shift your mouse/keyboard to a second Mac. So you're sitting on your couch on the laptop, you slide the mouse off the right side of the screen, and you're then controlling your mini. Works like a dual monitor setup, but with 2 separate computers.

Also the built in OS X screen sharing, will let you git rid of the pop-ups without having to plug stuff into the mini.

---
    Sorry, I normally would give links, but I'm on my iPad at work right now. A google search for the programs should sort you out.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Remote HD will give you a virtual keyboard and trackpad on an iPad or iPhone. And i'm pretty sure you can set system updates to not check automatically.

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I really like Rowmote Pro. It's a 5 buck universal app for the iPad/iPhone I've used to turn my MBA into a great HTPC when I'm at home. Full functionality of a normal touchpad, with multitouch etc. as well as drop down windows for your dock, settings, etc. It's a great app; highly recommended for an HTPC setup.

5. Supra Mac macrumors regular

After reading your recommendation I figured I would give this a shot. Glad I did as I have a Mac Mini as a HTPC. This app delivers, also can sleep/wake. Thanks for posting.

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I really like it a lot; glad it helped! I didn't know about the sleep/wake feature though... That'll be really useful when I get a dedicated Mac mini for my own set-up. Just have to save up a few hundred bucks... :)