Best way to configure an 11 inch MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jaymd, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jaymd macrumors newbie

I am interested in buying an 11 inch MBA as a "kitchen computer" to have access to the internet and to use for occasional travel when I need to run Windows 7. What would be the best configuration to be able to occasionally run Windows for the $? Other than the operating systems I do not plan on storing much on the hard drive. Thanks

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The 2nd option (4gb ram/128gb ssd) should suffice.

Some will advise you to upgrade the ram as well, though I personally feel that 4gb ram should be enough for you, based on your description. Try checking out the refurbed section; these options shouldn't be that rare (or at least more common than a 11" 8gb ram/128ssd option).

3. tiwizard macrumors regular

There are a couple of ways to run Windows on your Mac-- I've outlined them here, with info on how much RAM and HDD space to get for each method.

Also, I have built a tool to help people decide what configuration of computer to get... It's in beta, and I'd love feedback as well if you end up taking a look at it.

Based on your description, however, I'd get the 128 GB and 4 GB of RAM as Abazigal suggested. You even be able to get away with 64 GB, but take a look at the "Running Windows on Your Mac" article first for info on how much HDD space Windows and Bootcamp take up.

4. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

I would choose the 256GB with 4GB's of RAM if you are going to use Bootcamp. If you are going to use virtual machines I would go for the 256GB with 8GB RAM upgrade.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Totally unnecessary suggestion without knowing what the OP is using Windows for (that's a $400 difference between a 4GB/128GB and an 8GB/256GB). I virtualize Windows 7 using Virtualbox with my i5/4GB/128GB (only giving it 1.5GB and 2 cores and 20GB) and it runs flawlessly (I run office, mathcad, and various circuit design/simulation programs) .

7. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

I guess that would be another factor. If you are running VM's, you will need the extra RAM for running Windows and OS X.

8. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

As already said, upgrade the RAM if you're using virtual machines. 128GB will be plenty of space for what you looking to do. External USB3.0 storage is getting cheaper everyday if you find yourself needing more.

I just picked up the base 11" MBA (4GB/64GB). While 64GB seems very little space by todays standards, all my media and files are stored in my personal cloud on my home server. I find the 4GB RAM is fine for me, even when running OSX applications and my linux virtual machine.

9. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

i would go for the higher 8GB/256GB option, as windows takes up a lot of space alongside mac OS X in both hard drive space and memory + you might want to store some other docs on mac os x, like recipes, since you mentioned the MBA in the kitchen :D