Best way to connect electric guitar to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MasterHowl, Feb 26, 2013.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'd just like a way to connect my electric guitar to my MacBook Pro so I can record a few tracks with several layers etc.

What's the best way of doing this for under ~£20ish? I'm not recording professional or anything, it's just for my own entertainment :)

Thank you!

2. ZePequeno macrumors newbie

I would suggest spending a bit more, sorry. I have a StealthPlug, but it gives me a ridiculous amount of noise when used with GarageBand or Amplitube or GuitarRig. So much that i sent several unresolved messages to iKMultimedia, hoping to find a solution.

My solution was to abandon it and buy an Apogee JAM. It's a small device that accepts a quarter inch guitar cable, and plugs into my computer via USB. It's quiet and discrete. Not sure, but i think the StealthPlug's problem may have something to do with the bitrate? Whatever. My advice is to NOT SKIMP on this. There are several devices in the same price range as the JAM (around $100USD). I don't think i'd trust anything below $80 without specific information that it will work with your particular software package —*a recommendation by someone actually using it. Go to the various forums for Amplifier Simulations, or Guitar forums with sections for software.

3. aleza66 macrumors newbie

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly