Best way to connect guitar to nMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Roeltjah, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Roeltjah macrumors newbie

Since there's no line-in, what's the best way to connect a guitar, for logic pro, on my previous MP there was a line-in....

2. cbm macrumors member

"Best" is a complex qualifier here. There is such a wide variety of audio interfaces, with a wide selection of connection methods, that it's really hard to declare a "best."

Here's a sampling of Thunderbolt interfaces: http://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Thunderbolt_Audio_Interfaces

You probably don't need Thunderbolt, though. There's a vast array of interfaces that interface via USB and/or Firewire.

3. babysloth macrumors newbie

That's a really hard question to answer without knowing what your needs are or what your budget is...

Certainly, the line in on the old mac pro is not the correct way to connect a guitar to your old mac pro - that is a massive impedance mismatch - and the line in port on most macs are usually quite noisy.

A decent, but relatively inexpensive USB solution is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - you can find these just about anywhere online and even most likely at your local Best Buy or Apple Store.

For a little extra money, you can get a really nice interface like the Apogee Duet or Focusrite Forte that is geared towards singer/songwriter markets.

And then there is the new UAD Apollo Twin - which is both an audio interface as well as a DSP for the awesome UAD plugin suite.

4. ddavis539 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth Guitar Center is having one of their holiday sales this weekend featuring 15% off a single product. You should be able to find a decent piece of equipment at one of their stores, or website.

5. Roeltjah thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thank you all for your replies, 'm gonna go with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, they got it at my local musicstore :)

6. Mac Gus macrumors regular

I have an M-Audio Fasttrack Pro. It's a USB digital pre-amp that you can input either a 1/4 inch cable or a XLR cables into. I used to use it to run my electric bass into to record in Logic. Now I mostly use it to send signal to my audio monitors for video editing.

7. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Not to mention those UAD plugs ;)

Apollo Quad here with the oMP.

10. Rock Hound macrumors member

The Apogee Jam was just updated to improve audio quality. I plug it into the USB hub that is built into my monitor. I've had no problems at all. Far superior to my old FireWire interface.