Best way to connect iphone to aux in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jackfrost123, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

I am thinking of the tivoli model one, but that's beside the point, any aux in applies. I 'd found a little appliance that went in the standard port and outputed a line out (instead of the standard out in the earphones), but I can't find it right now :confused:, that would do. BUT. I d much prefer some kind of dock with outs for both charging and line out to connect to my stereo with the iphone staying upright.:apple:

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

what about the iphone dock, is it a 3g? i know the dick taht came with the 2g (like mine) can do this...it has the 30 min to charge and a 3.5 mm line out to connect to aux-in

3. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused:yeap it's a 3g, I don't remember any cables coming along with it, neither with my ipod classic 160 gb, which had a a little joke of white plasticky thing with a whole that I didn't know what I d be for?

4. thevibesman macrumors regular

If I know what it is you are talking about, it is an adapter so that it will fit right with iPod stereos (some come with a few adapters like that, but the adapter that comes with the iPod will fit best since there are too many models to include every adapter with the stereo).

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

no my dock did not come with the cable just the dock, i got the cable for like 2 bucks just a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm (same as the headphones in your iphone) and that's it just plugged it in and good to go...

6. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i see, that's it, thanks for the heads up, although it still beats me what adapts to what and how this fiddly piece of plastic can be of any use. Any view on the dock?

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The piece of plastic with the rectangular hole is the "dock adapter" so the universal docks can fit any device; each of Apple's iPods (save the Shuffle) come with one, as do the iPhones, since each device is slightly different in width and thickness. This allows for a snug, secure fit for the universal docks, including the one Apple sells as well as various third-party docks and speaker-docks.

The iPhone-specific (both original and 3G) docks do not require this piece since they only fit the iPhone. Both have the 30-pin USB connector and a 3.5mm line-level audio jack. Good for docking to a stereo system.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB484

The iPod Universal Dock, sold by Apple, with work with various iPods and the iPhones as well and have a 30-pin connector, a 3.5mm jack and (I think) s-video outputs.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB125

8. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey xray, fantastic reply, very indebted to you bro. I just wish those bozos at apple could decide to up their manufacturing costs by 0.0000000000000000000001% by releasing a black coloured dock to go with the iphone, ipod black....ssshhh....

///and how about them including a cable in the box as well, jesus I hate to complain, but 29 bucks for nothing but a stand, where's the cable you money grabers? And it's extra hard to find an ipod/iphone out to audio in cable on their site, other than the 49$ which includes video too, I mean 80 bucks in total...jesus...

//// ok one option I was talking about is this:
    http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-fw.html

and this

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

how does this compare to the dock?

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Guessing you meant dock and not dick?
    And to the OP with your most recent post,
    I totally agree, 29 bucks for just a dock, and well... some card board, is just really ridiculous. I'd try and help you out with this, but it's early in the morning here, so I'm tired, as well as sick.
    Good luck!

10. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey bro, get well soon.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The SendStation USB mini-dock does not work with the iPhone; at least the one I have does not work. Maybe they've changed it, but I have one from the pre-iPhone days and it doesn't work with either the original iPhone or the iPhone 3G. Actually, slight correction -- the USB works, but the audio does not.

To connect to a stereo system, all you need is the dock and a 3.5 mm to RCA cable (very cheap and easy to come by). If you want to charge it at the same time, buy the iPhone charger from Apple (it comes with a USB to 30-pin cable I believe) or a 3rd party charger that comes with a cable as many do. Or use the cable that came with your phone. Honestly, I have so many of these laying around since one came with each iPod and iPhone in my home (3 iPhones, 5 iPods, plus extras that came with various docks and chargers. No, not all mine).

Or, another alternative is the $49 Apple composite video cable for the iPhone & iPod. It has a 30-pin connector for the iPhone/iPod at one end and 2 audio RCA (stereo) connectors, a composite video RCA connector and a USB plug for either syncing or charging. That, plus any old USB charger lying around will get you connected to the stereo and charging at the same time. I have one of these cables in my wife's minivan. It has a DVD player with an Aux video/audio input - so we can play movies for the kids right off the iPhone. The USB plug goes in to a cig lighter power adapter and it keeps the iPhone charged while playing music or movies.

12. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey xraydoc! sorry for not getting back earlier but my user cp function here is messed up somehow and doesn't inform me as it should of a new reply in a subscribed thread. THANKS for the exemplary reply once again, posters like you make these forums great. Should be made a sticky in terms of docks and the iphone/pods and connecting them to a stereo. I got, lol, a lot of usb chargers lying around to, I put them in good use since the setup thankfully allows me to listen to music as well as charge. Happy New Year btw.

13. chappy87 macrumors regular

What was wrong with simply sticking a jack to phono lead in the headphone socket, and then plugging that into the auxiliary input on the stereo?! Sorry if thats already been covered, but all this talk of docks etc seems more than is needed!

Edit: Ah, the phone needs to stay upright....my bad!

14. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

The main thing is that via the headphones output it goes through the preamp of the iphone which eventually degrades the quality if via the aux it goes through the stereo's amp too, while you get noticeable improvements if you take the out from the line out, i.e. not amplified and then to the aux in the stereo. I am no audiophile or anything but I am pretty sure this rudimentary understanding I got here is accurate.