Best way to connect MBP to HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iHeather, Sep 2, 2009.

1. iHeather macrumors newbie

I'm somewhat new to the Mac community and am still exploring the capabilities of my Macbook Pro. What is, in your opinion, the best way - meaning, how can I get the highest quality picture - to connect my MBP to my Olevia hdtv? Can my MBP plaback hd images? Do I want to use the mini-dvi or the dual-dvi output? Any explanations on this would be great!

2. Arn1499 macrumors member

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

What kind of video output port do you have? DVI? mini-DVI? mini-DP?

If you have a DVI port, then all you would need is a DVI>HDMI adapter plus an HDMI cable.

If you have a mini-DVI port, then you would need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter ($30 from Apple ... could be $20 now), plus the aformentioned items above. Alternatively, monoprice.com sells a mini-DVI>HDMI adapter for about $12. Then you would just need an HDMI cable.

If you have mini-DP, then you would need a mini-DP>DVI ($30 at Apple) plus DVI>HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. Or get the monoprice mini-DP>HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.

In all three of these situations, you would need to bring audio in from a separate port. What you get depends on your TV. My TV has a set of ports for RCA audio for one HDMI port. So I got a mini-jack>RCA adapter and a set of RCA audio cables. Some TVs have a mini-jack port, so you'd need a mini-jack cable.

Some other types of connections for your TV would be DVI or VGA. On some TVs, using these ports is better due to overscan issues ... although I'll admit that most newer TVs handle overscan very well.