Best way to connect Surround

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MRiOS, Aug 27, 2010.

1. MRiOS macrumors regular

I have an older set of 5.1 surround sound speakers from Logitech that I'd like to use with my Mac Pro, however the Mac Pro only has one port for audio out other than the Optical. The Speakers only have the three RCA? plugs in the colors Black, Green, & Orange and I'm not sure how to get it so that I can use all the speakers.

The Speakers: [​IMG]

The Plug: [​IMG]

Is there a compatible Soundcard I can plu into a PCI slot or is there another, better way to set this up without the use of a receiver/amplifier.

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

I recommend the Griffin FireWave as well - I even use it to connect my Z-5500D's even though I can use toslink/optical.

Unfortunately, however, the FireWave was discontinued a few years ago so it might require some luck and a lot of searching to find someone that's selling one.

4. Mav3067 macrumors member

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I gave up on the old plug style 5.1 system when I got the 2008 mac pro for the same reasons. Moved to a firewire interface and audio amp system. The MP's are not really meant for 5.1 cards so much.

6. iRobertM macrumors regular

All I want is to get 5.1 on World of Warcraft in OSx, not interested in running Winblows. Currently connected fiber to Logitech Z5500s. The simulated gets all speakers working but is not surround. Anyone know if this M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card would do the trick? I read Griffin FireWave would but I don't shop e-bay.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the optical in all macs support 5.1 surround so use that, no need for expensive extra cards.

refer to my above post

9. iRobertM macrumors regular

Only DVD's are supported 5.1 out though the optical, games are not.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

negative, WoW runs 5.1 just fine, so does SCII. bout the only games i care to play,

11. iRobertM macrumors regular

If thats true then awesome, then maybe you can help me.

Here are the steps I take:

1. Hooked the Z5500's up via fiber
    2. Set the "effects" to PLII Movie
    3. Start up WOW
    4. Sound come out of all 5 speaks (Good so far)
    5. Go up to a sound source, anything really and spin to the left or right. The sound is not correct. Meaning if the sound is behind me it does not come out of the back speakers. Music plays through all but not the direct sound. On my old PC with a sound card it worked perfectly.

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

that's odd, i just plugged mine in and the thing worked flawlessly.
    maybe if you check "use hardware"

I could tell the difference immediately, I used to have a PC which also had optical, but it only played with stereo, had to have a external sound card for that thing

13. goMac macrumors 603

So much bad advice in this thread... ugh...

1) ANY program in OS X can output 5.1 just fine. WoW and SCII both do 5.1.
    2) The M-Audio 5.1 card is plain PCI and does NOT work in a Mac Pro.
    3) An optical cable/TOSLink cable will not work because his speakers do not have digital audio in.

The Firewave is probably your best bet, although it does not work in Boot Camp.

14. MRiOS thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the concise summary of the thread. Seeing as the FireWave device is no longer available via regular retail, is there any other device that performs about the same functions? or is there a converter box that allows me to route TOSlink from my Mac Pro to my speakers hooked up to the converter?

15. nasabaer macrumors member

Maybe this Product from Teufel will do it ?

Sorry for the german link - i found no international - but there are pictures of the backside of the decoderstation. i have one here in use connected via toslink to my mac pro and pc. you can buy some adapter cables for converting the cinch to 3,5mm for a few bucks.