Best way to connect to Internet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benjamwes, Jun 28, 2013.

1. benjamwes macrumors member

I'm getting an iMac soon and a better internet service provider so was wondering what the best way to connect to the internet is.
    I know ethernet is the fastest but the router is going to be in a completely different part of the house to my mac and there are no wall ethernet ports in that room.
    Should I just connect using Wi-Fi or would one of these be faster? Originally I thought they used Wi-Fi to connect to the router (so it would be defeating the point of using one) but I read that they use the wires in the wall of my house to connect to the router...?
    Any help is appreciated :)

2. Bear macrumors G3

I suggest trying WiFi first. If there are problems with that, then go for the powerline adapters.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Your situation is not unusual and there are various options.

I agree with the other poster to try first the wireless. You may want to try the various modes including G and N and also read up on how to adjust channels on the router for best reception.

In a case like yours, I would consider using more than one device for handling wifi. It starts with a wireless router and then you either add a second wireless router and bridge the routers so that your Mac talks to the one closest to you and it passes along the signal to the router by your internet connection.

Another approach is using access points and you should read up on those as well.

Powerline is a very good choice if your home is wired with the least amount of "resistance" which translates that the ideal two plugs will share the same inwall lines and not be on separate fuses. Powerline has come a long way and I have set them up for friends and it is hit and miss depending on the in wall wiring and if the two units (or more) exist in wiring that shares the same fuse.

Though it is early, you should consider rather than wifi "N" looking at AC draft units in bridge mode. The easiest way to do this is attach one router to your internet and then the other router would be connected to your Mac via Ethernet (cat 5e or cat 6 cables for best throughput). In this mode, both routers do the heavy lifting and you get the advantage of the AC level data flow.

A great place to start investigating is at smallnetbuilder web site. They have tests on various routers, some test/discussion on Powerline and forums where hands on users share thoughts.

Last - though not as common, there are systems that use cabling normally dedicated to TV (and now Internet). The advantage is that if it is in the home and in the rooms you use, it has reasonable throughput that often is better than both wifi N and Powerline.

Again - check out smallnetbuilder

4. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. So you're saying that using Wi-Fi should be faster than an ethernet adapter?

5. erikjorg macrumors newbie

WiFi or Ethernet

If you can afford it, why not use AirPort Time Capsule 2TB. It will act as a fast WiFi and Ethernet router - Time Machine auto Back-up, Ethernet, WiFi.
    Look up Apple website for price and specifications. By the way, Ethernet will always give you faster and reliable connection.
    I run a home network of 6 Macs, some ethernet and some WiFi.:)