Best way to control another user's screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jent, Nov 13, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have been troubleshooting my Mom's computer problems at a distance and I'd like to know what options there are for remote screen sharing.

I know Skype and iChat have options for that. What other applications are there that do this? I know MobileMe/iCloud has the "Back to My Mac" feature, but I'm assuming that's for controlling another personal Mac of yours that setup with your MobileMe/iCloud account.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

2. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

I use Teamviewer for remote sessions. There is a lightweight client version the "remote" end can install. Both sides will have to install the client though, just like iChat or Skype. It is pretty snappy, although audio is not supported.

Worth checking out.

Alex

3. Praksis macrumors member

I use LogMeIn at work to access remote machines on the network.
    Although we have a payed account at work, i also use it on a personal basis using the free version (mainly to solve issues on family computers) and it works perfectly even cross platform (yes, unfortunately most of my family still uses PC's...).

Give it a try.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I have to agree with Alex. I have used both Teamviewer and Logmein, but I find Teamviewer to be a better product overall. It is available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows, and it gives you a great amount of control and functionality. It is free for personal use (e.g. helping your mom, but if you are using it to help clients pay for it please.)

Also, I use Skype simultaneously to talk to my mom when helping her via teamviewer to keep my hands free for mousing, typing, etc.

I also like to instruct her on what to click so that she learns by doing.

5. william1949 macrumors member

TeamViewer is great. Even if you are on a Mac you can help someone on a PC (which I have done many times).

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

7. misiekmr macrumors newbie

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.