Best way to control HTPC mini from laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by macdot, Sep 27, 2009.

1. macdot macrumors 6502

I have a Mac mini setup with my HDTV and I primarily use a laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to control the mini from the laptop with/without the TV on?

I am using Teleport right now, but that requires that the HDTV be on so that I can see what's happening with the screen.

Is there a Teleport-like device that will allow me to see the screen on the laptop? This sounds like VNC, but I know so little about that, I'm not sure. If it is VNC, what's the absolute simplest (and free) VNC setup?

Any help is appreciated.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends on what type of laptop you have, is it an Apple? You can use Screen Sharing to see your mini.

Or if you have a Windows lappie, you can use VNC.

3. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

My laptop is a Mac. Doesn't screen sharing require the target computer to accept the session though?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It will take you thru just fine. That's how I access my mini.

5. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome--that's different than the last time I tried using it a while ago.

Related question: Can I setup the mini (connected to the TV) as remote speakers for iTunes based off my laptop? I know I can use screen sharing to play iTunes on the mini, but it would be much less of a headache to just use iTunes on the laptop and have it stream to the mini's speakers like AirTunes.