Best way to convert video for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by markw10, May 17, 2010.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I just purchased an iPad and have some DVD's that I'd like to convert to video for the iPad. These aren't copyprotected DVD's. In the past I've used Roxio's Toast and Popcorn to convert video for my ipod/iphone and AppleTV. Neither of these programs have a selected for iPad though.
    I hope a future update to these programs have this feature. Until then though is there another program to convert this video? I hope to find a user friendly program. Both of the above work but also with some DVD's it can be confusing to find the proper files to convert. Thank you for your help.

2. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

If you tend to have access to a wifi hotspot or have the 3G version.. I would suggest Air Video. No conversion needed for videos. You can stream practically any video format to the iPad flawlessly.

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have been using Handbrake with the AppleTV preset (with a few tweaks). Looks great.

4. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Which tweaks, exactly? I convert videos but itunes won't put then on my iPad :/

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Visual Hub work great for me. Although, I don't know where you can DL a copy. I've had mine for years.

6. ultima macrumors member

Air video still converts your videos to readable files for ipad fyi

7. ukyo229 Guest

MacTheRipper 4.0 > handbrake 0.9.4 > sync to ipad

There are better options than handbrake, but you need to know what you are doing with video encoding. Handbrake is more than fine.
    Stay away from popcorn, toast, ripit, visual hub, isquint, ect. It is all crapware.

8. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I am using AirVideo as well but wanted to have 1 movie on the iPad through iTunes...I used FFmpegX...it's free on freemacware.com

9. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I have Visual Hub and will be getting my iPad soon.
    What settings do you use in Visual Hub for the highest quality?
    Thanks.

10. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I set it for iPod / Optimize for TV and select H.264, then base the output quality relative to the size of the original and the video quality of the original.
    You should try messing with this even before you get the iPad. You should consider the iPad storage size too when staring to build your new iPad video library.

12. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks. Think we have a different version. I have v.1.34... I have iTunes as a tab. Will play around with it.
    Yeah trying to optimize best quality for iPad. 32GB, but don't have too much content. Want movies to look nice, but TV shows don't mind that much.

13. BrandAide macrumors newbie

I gave it a try yesterday and it worked very well for me.

14. Dogpilot macrumors member

A few utilities that work well for me are:
    Handbrake, for extracting DVD's but you need VLC as well for copy protected ones.

MPEG StreamcClip is an excellent video format and editing utility (both Mac & PC).

I have found that converting them to the Apple TV format presets works extremely well on the iPad, especially for the Air Video App. No conversion is necessary for transmission.

MPEG StreamClip
    VLC
    HandBrake

15. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Visual Hub has now evolved into Video Monkey, with current support, updates, forums, etc.

16. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

I'll give it a shot. Does it handle DRM protected DVD's?

17. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'll second WinXDVD. I had been using Handbrake, but WinXDVD seems to do a better job.

18. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Yes. On some DVDs it will say it's a new copy protection (like Disney movies) and you need to figure out exactly which track to rip, but I haven't found anything it won't rip yet.

19. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Nice! Thanks for the info. Gonna get it now. :)

20. bobhdco macrumors newbie

Handbrake doesn't have iPad profile yet. you can output to MPEG4 video, as iPad can read it. If you're looking for a direct dvd-to-ipad converter, here is a ipad converters list with in-depth review I stumbled into yesterday from

http://www.ipadintouch.com/best-dvd-to-ipad-video-converter-review.html

21. ukyo229 Guest

Then you don't know what you are doing. WinXDVD is a rebranded freeware product being sold commercially. It's well inferior to real rippers and convertors, and WinXDVD is from the same chameleon "company" *cough cough person* as many other rippers and convertors. It's just a different label.