All iPads Best Way to Convert Videos for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thomamon, Nov 8, 2013.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

What is the best way to convert videos you capture to an iPad format?

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't know what file format your videos are in, but Handbrake will convert most DVD / CD based moved to ATV / iPad formats...It even has built in pre-sets to make the job easy:

http://handbrake.fr

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

You think they have the best quality?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's free, but don't be fooled...I've been using it for years, just search these boards and you'll find that many here use it all the time.

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Awesome! I see the Adobe Media Encoder CC but you can't get that without getting Premiere... And then Apple has their version in the App store.

6. unibility macrumors 6502

Handbrake also converts MKV files which are blu-ray files to MP4 or M4V file format so iTunes will play them. Then you sync to your iPad devices.

7. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

If you install another player like VLC for example, you don't need to convert your videos! It reads pretty much every format

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've been using Handbrake for years and it has been the most dependable encoding tool I've used. I recommend being selective in which profile you use. Bigger isn't always better.

If you are doing this on a Mac, I highly recommend subler to add the relevant metadata tags to the video. The nice thing about this extra step is that videos that you encode will have all of the info and cover art similar to movies purchased from iTunes.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I use Handbrake all the time, but another convenient option is Air Video which is an app you put on your device and a helper service you install on your computer. You point the helper at any folders you want on your computer and then the app has access to all of those videos. From there you have a bunch of options - you can play videos on the fly without permanent conversion, you convert the files and download them to your device, etc. It's a little more straightforward and flexible than Handbrake and it's what I use for the many videos where I don't want to end up keeping two versions of the video on my big hard drive.

10. OCJeff macrumors regular

I use clone DVDMobile by SlySoft. Been using their stuff for years and it's never failed me. It partners with their AnyDVD solution to allow you to make backups of your movies. Perfect for traveling.

11. SL4VE macrumors 6502

iSquirt is my fav, minimal and does exactly what you need. no gimmicks

12. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Avoid the pains of coverting and get VLC. You can sync any file format video file and play it there.

13. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

I use Smart Converter (the free version) you just drop the media file on the Smart Converter window, tell it what kind of device you're converting it for and presto - done. Sent to iTunes in the Apple device-friendly format of your choice.

14. bridgesldn macrumors newbie

I use Smart Convertor, you just drag the file into the program, select device you want to put it on. It then converts and drops it into iTunes for you. Can be found for free on the Mac App Store, definitely worth checking out!

15. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Even if you are putting on the iPad?

Thanks! I will google it, that sounds great!

See question above.

Thanks, loving this thread so far!

16. darknyt macrumors 6502a

If you are converting videos just to save space that's one thing.

If you are converting solely because the iPad won't natively play your file format, you are likely wasting your time.

Snag VLC, or I use AVPlayer (HD for iPad) and it works like a charm. You will find you miss the swipe forward and back to advance/rewind ten seconds when you go back to any other app.

I use it to load/reload a mutli-TB collection of videos in assorted formats. I haven't had it fail me yet.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't get the value of doing that. If I'm home then I'll watch video on my TV rather than an iPad screen. And that approach won't work if one takes their iPad out on the road and wants to watch videos.

Over the years I've found that encoding to a widely popular format, like .m4v/mp4 is very useful. I can play those videos on any iOS, Android, or WinMobile device. They're also playable on smartTVs that support USB drives. I have a 2TB Passport USB HD loaded up with TV shows, movies, video clips, etc. and turns my TV into a video jukebox. Playback off the harddrive always works, no funky network issues, and portable.

But then again, I'm a technological caveman because I prefer media files to be locally stored on the device I'll be using them on. :D

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Agree with this totally. Some of us are not connected to the internet 24/7 with terabytes of band width.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

That's all fine but the original statement in his quote had nothing to do with network streaming. He was saying, don't bother converting just use a better video player app on your iPad. For example nplayer can play nearly everything aside from DTS audio, streaming or locally.

20. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Yeah . . . You are conflating two separate issues. The conversion issue was what I was referencing. I didn't say anything about streaming.

Again, there is no need to convert if you are just trying to get it into a format that will play on your iPad.

We just have different approaches. I have enough videos that I refuse to spend a chunk of my life converting them. I use devices and apps/programs that remove that need.

A WDTV with attached USB drive will remove the need to convert virtually ANYTHING. No networking needed. If you are converting the contents of a 2TB drive so you can play it via some "smart tv" then you are wasting ungodly amounts of time.

And the apps above will remove the need to convert for mobile devices as will VLC and other video players for Mac/PC.

Unfortunately, apple is not inherently conversion friendly. They are happy to sell you their content in their format, but there are plenty of ways around that.

Just sounds like you weren't aware of some of the recent advances in conversion techs/devices. We all gotta learn sometime.

21. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Just get AirVideo HD and install the server program on your computer. You can stream to your iPad or download to it, anything that needs to be converted will be.

22. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

It'll process actual Bluray discs too, if you have something like AnyDVD to strip the copy protection on the fly.

----------

File size can be an issue though, especially if you're dealing with large 1080p MKV files - transcoding them not only makes them compatible with the iPad's in-built media player but also offers the opportunity to significantly reduce the file size.

23. ddrulez macrumors member

I suggest Air Video HD. You can stream and convert/download to the device.

24. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Handbrake on a Mac is an easy and quality way to rip video.