Best way to copy DVD?

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I have some instructional DVD's that i want to copy; what is the easiest way to do so with my G5; i have toast titanium. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
vkapoormd said:
I have some instructional DVD's that i want to copy; what is the easiest way to do so with my G5; i have toast titanium. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
If its not a commercail DVD you should jsut be able to hit copy in toast.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Raven VII said:
And if it IS commercial, we can't help you.
Since when? There must be 20 threads on this topic.

Use MacTheRipper to decrypt the DVD, if it's encrypted, then Popcorn or DVD2oneX to compress it down to fit on a normal (single layer) DVD. If you use Popcorn, it will burn the result directly. With DVD2oneX, you'd burn it with Toast (DVD video from TS_VIDEO folder).

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Thanks to all of you who responded. I don't think they are encrypted; they are basically medical videos, and the company that makes them is pretty basic. But in case they are, i will use the other methods suggested.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Also, you can make an disc image of the DVD in Disk Utility, and burn infinite numbers of the DVD with that disk image. I've done it with my home movies, pretty easy.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Raven VII said:
Thought pirate talk aren't allowed (well, unless it's April 1st that is ;) )?
Who said anything about pirating? You have the right to backup commercial DVDs that you have purchased, so when your kids destroy them, you're not out $15. That's why utilities like MTR haven't been shut down. At least that's my take on it.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
daveL said:
Who said anything about pirating? You have the right to backup commercial DVDs that you have purchased, so when your kids destroy them, you're not out $15. That's why utilities like MTR haven't been shut down. At least that's my take on it.
Well you may have the right to make a backup (perhaps), but you don't have the right to bypass encryption (DMCA)...There in lies the problem...Haven't you wondered why there aren't any commericial ripping/decrypting programs?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
kingjr3 said:
Well you may have the right to make a backup (perhaps), but you don't have the right to bypass encryption (DMCA)...There in lies the problem...Haven't you wondered why there aren't any commericial ripping/decrypting programs?
I thought the DMCA only applied to americans?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
kingjr3 said:
Given that I've already described how to make a backup, I'll take that as a rhetorical question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.