Best way to copy DVD's to put on your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Groundhog66, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Groundhog66 macrumors member

Groundhog66

I have tried Hnadbrake, but for some reason it doesn't copy the entire DVD. Is there any dummy proof way to get DVD's ripped to copy onto my iPad?

2. msavwah macrumors 6502

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

What do you mean by entire movie? Special features and all? If so, probably not a way to do it yet unless you know how to make iTunes extras.

4. Groundhog66 thread starter macrumors member

Groundhog66

Not meaning special features, I mean it does not copy the whole movie.

5. flyfish29, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Have you tried ripping it again to see if something went wrong the first time?

What DVD is it?

How much of the dvd? Is it only a few chapters, most of them, or one?

I know when I have converted some I had some kind of issue with not getting all the episodes, but that was a tv series DVD. I have not used the latest version either.

I use Rip It and Handbrake myself.

6. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I used Leawo DVD to iPad Converter, I don't know whether you guys heard about it or not, whatever, it's a nice software except can't automatic tranfer video to my iPad. ;)

7. Built macrumors 68020

If you use Handbrake and are not getting the entire movie, then you need to ensure that what you are looking for is included in the chapter that Handbrake automatically selects when it scans your DVD.

For example, with TV shows as pointed out above, you must individually select each episode for conversion. Just begin with the one that Handbrake selects...and then using the drop down menu, add the other episodes to the queue.

Same goes for movies with extras, deleted scenes, etc.

8. moondad macrumors member

It can also be down to the copy protection.

Most disney DVDs have 99 titles with very similar run times to try and confuse ripping software - Handbrake normally guesses the wrong title. The trick is simply to play the DVD in DVD Player (or whatever you use to just play DVDs in your computer), and observe the title number. Then you just go back into Handbrake and select that title manually.

9. Grolsch30 macrumors member

Same thing happened to me with a childrens dvd i tried to rip using Handbrake.
    It has 1 movie on it and about 9 different chapters with short stories.
    Handbrake would only let me rip the 1 chapter although it does give you the option to copy from chaptet... to chapter.... but it would not let me select any of the other chapters.

When i tried to add them manualy in the queue it asked me if i wanted to overwrite the existing one which i obviously did not want to do. This probably means the only way to get all the chapters was to rename each chapter but that would mean i'd have 9 seperate chapter files instead of them all on one file no?

Also what is the average rip speed on an imac 27 is 2.8ghz, i am totally new to all of this and managed to rip a film via hanbrake on normal default setting and it took well according to the info about an hour (went to bed left the mac to it as it was realy late), is this normal or should it be faster/ slower?

Many thanksfor any help advice :)

10. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Fairmount and Handbrake work amazingly well! I use them all the time.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Will Handbrake rip a copy protected DVD that I bought at the store and convert it in one step?

I currently use Mac the Ripper and Handbrake, and I have only had one problem.

12. Built macrumors 68020

When this happens, I simply rename... rip the multiple chapters using Handbrake...and then organize them into a single folder with the name of the original DVD. :)

13. Built macrumors 68020

You can also use DVDShrink...which will decrypt virtually anything...It will then save these as VOB files. You can then use Handbrake on them.