Best way to copy from DVR into iTunes library

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cbdboz, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Cbdboz macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Hi,

Is it possible to import content saved on a DVR into my iTunes library?

I currently record from cable box on to a separate DVR but would much rather bring this content into my iTunes library and access via Apple TV.

..and is there anyone that currently does this and could recommend a good set up...eg model of DVR, and indeed any specific software that I would need.....or whether you can use a Mac mini or an external hard drive as the DVR to capture the content direct...and then perhaps use handbrake etc???

Thanks

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Depending on your cable provider the channels are encrypted and unencrypted. In short, all encrypted channels are not going to be easily available for copy. You should explore the terms clear QAM and encrypted QAM.

Tivo had with pre-Roamio systems software to copy unencrypted saved shows. Unfortunately, in many areas, the majority of the channels are encrypted - you may want to do some research on your provider.

Also look up EyeTV (Elgato) to see what their offerings are about and also their forums. I hope this gets you on track to finding a solution that will work for you.

3. brucewayne macrumors member

If you need to record encrypted channels, check out the eyetv hd. It takes the component output of your cable box and converts it to h.264 (so you don't need to convert with handbrake) you can set it to auto export to iTunes to access with your apple TVs etc. you can use it to stream live to your iPhone/ipad with the eye tv app. There is a small blaster that you aim at the cable box so it can control channel changes etc.

I've had one for several years and it's been pretty reliable.

4. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Thanks guys,

Previously I had recorded programs to my pioneer dvr, and would then copy to a dvd+r, then run through makeMKV! and handbrake.......very convoluted....And a waste of a dvd as well :(

5. FredT2 macrumors 6502

The TiVo Roamios with kmttg work very well. Copying, decrypting, and converting can all be done in one operation.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

In order to do this obviously you need access to the DVR'ed files so I hope you do, and THEN they have to be already in the format(s) iTunes likes, if not you have to introduce a conversion step (convolution ensues). Lastly, you can use a simple applescript to register them into the iTunes library.

So the Q is, are your DVR'ed files in a format iTunes takes wo further conversion?

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Fred, I was looking into the Roamios as an upgrade to my TiVo 3. Which model Roamio do you have and what are your* steps to pulling out saved shows that are encrypted?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I used to be able via Toast to pull some shows but it only worked with non-encrypted shows. Over time, TWC had more and more channels encrypted to the point I abandoned it long ago. 256 QAM encrypted is a plague.