Best Way to Copy VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bertreb, Jun 19, 2013.

1. bertreb macrumors newbie

I would like to copy my leagle paid for, commercial copy protected VHS tapes to DVD-R.
    I have a DVR, but get the copy protected message. I fully understand, and respect, the protection laws and making illeagel copies, but this is not the case, i just want to protect my big library.Is there any inexpensive device I can to apply to the decision of this problem?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What is the DVR for? Don't you just want to go VHS to DVD? Or does your DVR also burn DVDs?

You probably need one of these: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/80-4280

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You'll need a VHS to DVD transfer deck which are not hard to find.

But why would you copy VHS movies to DVD? The quality would be no good. Unless you have some rare VHS copies of films??

I have one of these.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I believe Costco offers this, at least they did in the past. Also check out YesVideo.

5. bertreb thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if anybody else has had this experience, but I find the built-in VCR>DVD dubbing function to be erratic. I've had the DVD recorder stop the DVD with a warning like, "This program cannot be recorded"...and that's with my family videos recorded at SP.

I've had a lot better luck patching together a separate VCR as the player and a DVD recorder as the recorder.