Best way to create new partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by detz, Jan 26, 2009.

1. detz macrumors 65816

I want to create a new partition and install another copy of OSX on it. Should I just use disk utility to resize the partition, will that work correctly and not mess up my current working partition.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now I have read somewhere that you can do this, but it was not recommended due to the idea of the drive may not be as "tidy" as you'd think. I guess you would really have to hope that all information was stacked accordingly leaving a physical amount of space on the front or back end of the drive. In theory this sounds like but not quite possible. I once asked the same question and since the answers were quite dodgy, I didn't chance it one bit. I backed up the drive and then partitioned it the right now. I suggest you do the same.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Whatever you do, never resize a partition without having a back of it first. Never.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I don't see why you can't use Boot Camp to create the partition. Just install OSX on the partition BootCamp created. You get to make the selection on which partition you want to install OSX onto just before you install.
    You might have to create the partition with BootCamp, then format that using DiskUtility to MAC OSX extended, before you attempt the install.

5. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...what does Bootcamp do special to make sure it doesn't mess up the partition table?

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've used disk utility to create partitions on many occasions and have never had any problem. However, take notice of edesignuk's warning! Always create a back up of things you don't want to risk losing.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why would anyone buy a drive containing an OS, start putting stuff on it and then expect Bootcamp to partition and not mess it up? If this happens then great, but arguing the point of making a backup is stupid if you ask me.

I say keep all of your important files on that drive and partition away. Let bootcamp do it or do it in disk utility. While it is working start writing your post about how you partitioned a drive with data (other than an OS) on it that wasn't backed up somewhere else and and the data is now done.

8. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Who's arguing against a backup? I think you would be hard pressed to find someone arguing against backing up the data before such a process. :rolleyes: Oh, the drive does have OSX on it already, I have one 120GB drive and I want to use a 20GB partition so I can install another copy of OSX on it to play with.

9. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I don't know about you, but when I tried to resize one of my partitions with DiskUtility, it failed, and has failed every time since. So I am stuck with my 2 partitions and will never be able to fix them.