Best way to customize Leopard other than Candybar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ikermalli, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I really want to customize the look of OS X Leopard (10.5.6) other than candybar, free or paid, whichever, I just want it to look different (not a windows theme though :p)

- ikermalli

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

3. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

there's a great program from blacktree.
    Secrets.blacktree.com
    Not sure if that's what your looking for but you should check it out!

4. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Interface lift is great! The blacktree thing is not for me, although I would love to know how to get everything back to default?

5. bigmack209 macrumors newbie

bigmack209

depends on what exactly you want to reset to default. you might need to restore with time machine, reinstall mac OS X, uninstall the program, or there may be a restore settings to pre-"program name here" such as tinkertool. tinkertool doesn't really change looks of leopard, but it tweaks various aspects of it. anyway it's got a reset option that resets your settings to what they were before you installed it.

there are various dock tweaking applications. what do you have against candybar by the way? i use it and its great.

anyway, dock apps:
    dockcolor (only changes dock by color slider)
    superdocker (various system tweaks and ability to apply custom docks)
    dockdr (add recent items stack and apply custom docks. also comes with a few built in ones like dark glass. that's my favorite. however, dockdr stopped working for me so i took the dark glass file and saved it in superdocker format and uninstalled dockdr.)
    dockdodger (remove running apps from the dock that you don't need there by dragging the app into the dockdodger window. to put them back just drag them there again. i use this for a better finder launcher.)

magnifique 2.1 is a leopard theme manager that lets you download and install leopard themes, but it's somewhat slow, and i'm a bit suspicious that it's somewhat of a trojan, although my antivirus says its clean. i'm only suspicious because i haven't heard much of others using it really, and EVERYONE wants new leopard themes.

service scrubber lets you tweak the services menu under the application menu of running applications. you can change those shortcut keys too. i never used services before but i do now. some are really useful.

hm thats about it for what i know of. i'd suggest candybar and secrets even though you said you don't want them. both really useful.

6. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

secrets is a tweaker, I don't want that, candybar everyone has, which is nice, but $30 is a bit much

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

there WAS a Tiger app called ShapeShifter that allowed full interface customization-sadly for whatever reason, it has yet to be ported to Leopard which is truly unfortunate as it was an excellent app- but Magnifique looks promising

9. glasserp macrumors regular

not really sure why you would think that... there's a full message board with hundreds of posts and plenty of members, not one saying anything of the sort. i've been using it for weeks and it works great.

10. bigmack209 macrumors newbie

bigmack209

alright thats good. it just seemed a bit buggy. you know like when you download an app with spelling errors?

11. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll try magnifique, thanks!

You can't expect a free app to hav everything perfect

12. glasserp macrumors regular

understandable