Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i know this probably has been asked before but i couldn't find anything.

so yeah...what's the best way to deal with dust on your desk? any special products or something that i don't know about?:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Really? Damp rag? Lemon Pledge? Any one of a kazillion furniture polishes out there. What does this have to do with Apple or Macs?

Reactions: ignatius345

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
A clean desk is a happy desk. Slovenly work areas produce bad work and the people at the desk become smelly and sticky as well. Also, all this gets into and onto computer stuff.

This can all be solved with Windex, the world's best overall product. No oily or sticky film, a nice ammonia smell that wakes you up and keeps your nasal passages open, thus promoting good health.

Watch the movie My Fat Greek Wedding and learn all about Windex's many powers. Do not buy generic products that seem like Windex because they suck and likely do not have curative powers.

Squirt some on a cloth to clean your computer. I use a teeny amount of Dawn dishwashing soap on a damp cloth to clean the MBP screen and that works very well.

SpudGT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008
Idaho
Swiffer Dusters are handy when tracking down and capturing dust bunnies ... especially when you want to avoid liquid cleaners.

SpudGT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008
Idaho
BTW: if you go the Swiffer route and plan on dusting your computer equipment, it's probably best to go with the plain 'unscented' variety. God knows what kind of goo is in the Febreze and Lavender formulas :eek:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I find a damp (not sopping wet) cotton cloth works best then dry with a clean cotton towel. It removes the dust, costs practically nothing, leaves no residue like Pledge and similar products, quick and easy to work with, no oily over spray plus I have found that dust remains away just as long as if you used Pledge. I would use an old cotton towel and wash cloth as they have been laundered multiple times thus are less likely to leave lint after dusting. Don't use blends just 100% cotton as the synthetics may scratch plastic surfaces.

Swiffer's are okay. They are more expensive than a cloth and water as they need to be replaced often. I also found them to be less effective though quicker but are only useful on smooth surfaces. They grab any textured surface making dusting of many surfaces impossible.

Don't use the dusting attachment on a vacuum. It is not that effective unless you have a high end vacuum, sucks up objects you don't want to leave the surface and the bristles will scratch up any sleek and shiny plastic surface.

I would also dust computer screen first so that it will be completely dust free. As the cloths get used they will leave at least a tiny amount of dust after cleaning, this is unavoidable but the amount is so minuscule it can hardly be detected on shiny black surfaces.

If the screen is dirty and the water will not clean dampen another cloth with rubbing alcohol and apply to the screen then remove with your drying cloth. Do not use Windex, as I recall Windex can damage anti-glare coatings. Don't use paper towels for this either as they can scratch plastic as well. I think rubbing alcohol is what they use in those insanely priced LCD cleaning towelettes.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
just leave the dust , cigarette ash and leftovers from the last pizza's , breadcrumbs or just rests from whatever you ate the last 6 month where they are ,garnish the lot with some empty and half empty beerbottles/ coke cans (depending what you prefer to drink) or some half empty cup's of coffee or tee , it brings such a nice homely feeling to the place and makes it look like you are actually working there ..just a thought :confused:

i personally use Mr.Sheen (multi surface polish) spray and a microfibre cloth , even perfect for bringing the apple alu keyboard to shine like new ;)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
When things really get out of hand and there is real blood on your clothing, this is how you get it out:

1. Squirt the area with Windex and let it sit for a minute.

2. Tide HE, made for front-loaders, is next. Just the brand I know. Dab some on the blood with your fingers and rub it in and around.

3. Set the washer to COLD! And wash. Blood begone.

This works.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
For some reason here in Boston this spring we had an insane amount of pollen in the air. With the windows in my office open before it got hot enough for AC I dealt with it everyday. I would literally have to clean my desk (it's white) every single day. I would see a yellow film across it and my wacom. If I put my arm down and lifted it up, it would be tainted yellow. So, I had a big problem. All I did was use a multi-surface cleaner and paper towels. I would spray the towels and not the desk. Be prepared to go through a lot of towels because they just smear once soaked and filled with dust.

A lot of those other dusters pick up a lot of dust but also put a lot back in the air meaning it will settle on your desk again in no time. Be diligent and use some sort of liquid with your towel.

YMMV

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Guy asks on a Mac forum . . . of course he has a high end vacuum.

You should see my $1,300 Electrolux kick the crap out of my dusty desk.

I just bought a Kirby and found it did great with the dust then noticed the scratching plastic problem mentioned above with the dusting attachment. The POS I had before couldn't remove dust very well.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If it's a wooden desk, use Pledge. It'll leave it looking nice and shiny. If it's a glass desk, windex or any type of glass cleaner will work fine.

You seem more worried about keeping your desk clean than you do keeping your Mac clean :p. I wipe my Mac down every week or so with a paper towel dampened with water. If the screen gets really dirty though, I'll use windex instead of the water. I kept it so clean that the guy at the Apple Genius Bar asked me how old it was. He was shocked when I told him December :p.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I agree with the Windex route. I purchased a simple glass desk to highlight my iMac. Of course children don't go well with glass, but a quick clean and we are good. I suppose if I deviated from my no food at the computer rule things could quickly get out of hand...

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i have a wooden Jonas desk from IKEA.
43773_PE139568_S3.jpg

i'm a very clean person but over here it gets dusty so fast.how often do you guys clean your display? is iKlear as good as i read? how often do you use that?

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Piles of Paper

My approach is to keep the desk covered in piles of paper. That way, very little dust settles on the actual desk. And, if it does, I'll never see it. (Until I catch up on pushing the paper - or quit - whichever comes first.)

:)

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
If it's light, windex or furniture polish is fine.

But if it's a real problem, look into getting a good air purifier. It will help with the dust AND you won't be breathing any of it in either.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
i have a wooden Jonas desk from IKEA.
43773_PE139568_S3.jpg

i'm a very clean person but over here it gets dusty so fast.how often do you guys clean your display? is iKlear as good as i read? how often do you use that?

iKlear is best for your computers etc, I wouldn't waste it on cleaning a desk. I personally use a slightly damp microfibre type cloth to clump the dust then turn it over and use the dry side to dry it and take it away. I hate cleaning my desk properly but it must be done throughly every few weeks otherwise its just grimy.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
iKlear for grease on screens.

But for the desk go Green and just use water on a soft cloth.

Research shows the more chemical cleaners you use in your household the higher risk of cancer etc.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The iSuck keyboard vacuum from Apple! Some say it doesn't suck enough, but Jobs, in a 2 am email, cryptically says it does, but will release a less restrictive filter at a later date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.