Best way to deal with Iphone4 issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhenrycpa, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dhenrycpa macrumors newbie

I purchased two new phones on launch day and have nothing but problems with them since day one. I am losing about 90% of my calls and my wife is doing the same. We both also have the proximity sensor issue as well. We both had 3gs phones before and loved them and they had great reception, now nothing. To make matters worse we sold the 3gs phones before getting the 4's and now have no easy route back to the phones we loved. Does anywhere still have new 3gs in 16 or 32gb models left or have they been wiped out?

While it would suck to be stuck into a two year contract when i shouldn't be, at this point I am ready to bite the bullet and do it. Would prefer to not go the refurb route as we have had issues with refurbs in the past.

Which of the following would be the most logical solution to get around this problem

A. return to Apple and get refund, try to find new 3gs phones to replace and be stuck with new 2 year agreement

B. Try to sell the 4's on ebay / craigslist (what is the real market price for locked slightly used phone, hard to get a feel with the free for all of unlocked etc that are going for 1600plus dollars on ebay, use that money to purchase a used 3gs via same avenue (not optimal as may end up with someone elses problem phone)

C. Any other brilliant solutions

Thank you for any input that can be provided

2. supremeMilo macrumors member

You can't go back to the 3GS. It is too slow and the screen sucks too much.

You could, but you won't be happy, hold the phone differently or get a case.

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Just take them back and get replacement iP4's.

4. dhenrycpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Already returned one of them and still have the issue, it is really bad in that I can't remember the last call i have made or received that didn't either sound really bad or drop altogether.

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

Everyone should do their own 30 day review and see for themselves if its worth keeping. If you find some of the flaws interfere with your using enjoyability take it back. If enough people do this there will be an improved effort on Apples part to get an improved version out quick fast and in a hurry.

If you don't care how it works and will keep it because its an apple product, God Bless you.

6. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

You could complain to AT&T and might get a free or discounted micro cell (Feeds off internet to improve the coverage at your house). That would at least fix your reception at home.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I put mine in a case and have no problem. A $600.00 phone belongs in a case especially when that takes care of other issues as well.

If you drop your naked iPhone you will have greater problems than some dropped calls.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

Do you use Bluetooth? How is that working? That's going to be the make or break for me.

9. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I have the same design flaw with my iPhone 4; however I have adapted and do not touch the problematic corner while making a call.

I'm absolutely no fanboy of Apple (please look at previous posts if you have doubts), but are you really that unable to hold the phone without touching the offending spot? I can drop a call at will if I choose to but have not had any issues when holding the iPhone without bridging that gap. If you are losing 90% of calls while not touching spot or while using a case, then absolutely return the iPhone 4 ASAP.

10. dhenrycpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont have quite as many issues on bluetooth but still some, however everyone I talk to on the bluetooth says it sounds like I am underwater. It was clear on my 3gs so that is another potential issue.

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have not used bluetooth. So I can't answer your question. If you search this forum I believe you will find some threads on that very subject.

12. mhdena macrumors 6502

I've seen 2 other bluetooth threads and they have issues of dropping the connection and sound.

Maybe this is turning out to be like cars, don't buy the 1st new model! haha, wait for the next one.

It seems the 3gs was much improved over the previous 2, and now this new design is buggy.

Mine comes later this week.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I really don't understand how it's this bad for people. I get 1 maybe 2 bars at my house and my phone calls are perfect. Haven't dropped a call with or without a case.

Sometimes I have no bars and still no problems.