Best way to deal with this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vjicecool, Nov 22, 2011.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

Hey Guys a question for you all
    I have a new macbook pro 2011 15inch with 2.0 ghz and i7
    it comes with 750 gb harddrive, so i bought a new ssd agility 3 120 gb

i would like to install ssd into my mbp, and the current internal hard drive has dual booting system which i can boot mac and lion osx.
    now is i use my internal hard drive as external will i be able to log into windows(when i attach it as an external).
    please let me know guys

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Wait dual boot Mac and Lion? You mean Snow Leopard and Lion?
    And you want to install Windows onto a external harddrive and boot from it?

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I assume you have windows and osx lion?

I had a similar question before, namely whether I could install and boot win7 on an external firewire HDD. The answer I got was mostly _no_, with some exceptions.

Installing appears to be the first problem, since win7 doesn't want to be installed on an external drive. This you already solved, since you already have a working bootcamp installation.
    I'm not sure how to convince windows to boot from the now external drive, but some people have reported that this is possible (google, maybe also search this forum).

Of course, one issue is that windows booting from the external drive might be relatively slow. Firewire is your best hope I guess, unless you have a thunderbolt enclosure. The other option would be to give windows 20-40 GB of the SSD, and use the external drive just to store the game files and other stuff.

4. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i mistyped

the current intenal hard drive is from apple, i installed windows on it. now i can dual boot into windows or mac.

the new ssd i bought is 120 gb, hope its clear

my question was if i remove the current harddrive and use an enclosure will i be able to log into windows.

----------

What if i wipe the current internal drive and install windows 7 in it after i remove it from the mac. can i install windows 7 totally into the external harddrive