Best way to Discharge Static Electricity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by semiauto, Aug 16, 2012.

1. semiauto macrumors member

I am about to perform my first upgrade on my Macbook Pro (installing 16GB of RAM) I've read several articles and threads about the safest ways to "operate" on a Mac, but I have some final questions.

1. I know the computer should be turned off, but should it be plugged in to its charger also?

2. If I have an anti-static strap, where is the best place on the computer to clip it to exactly?

Thank You

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You should unplug the computer, and if you use a static strap, any part of the computer's casing will work.

jW

3. semiauto thread starter macrumors member

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Your wrist? If only there were somewhere you could search for ways to discharge static electricity...actually, that's crazy, a a site like that would get like a googol hits a day.

5. markp99 macrumors member

Wrist strap should be attached to YOU and to GROUND, not to your computer.

The center screw of a common electrical outlet is commonly = ground (assuming properly wired).

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Typically, a computer's outer shell is considered sufficient to dissipate the static shock that may be produced by a person working on their computer. Commonly, it's recommended that you simply touch the outer shell briefly before touching any components, for that exact reason. Since this is a quick and fairly simple operation, I suspect it would be more than sufficient.

jW

7. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

^^ this.

somehow telling someone to put their finger next to an electrical outlet doesn't seem like a sound advice..

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Well, it's not exactly what was being said, I don't think. It's true that the screws in the center of an outlet cover are usually connected to ground, or the third pin in the US outlets, but if nothing else it's not really the easiest approach.

jW

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just touch the case before you start touching any of internal parts of your computer or RAM.

Also, finished circuit boards are usually fairly well shielded against ESD. Bare components are much more susceptible to damage, but you're not handling RAM chips that haven't been soldered to the PCB yet, so you should be good.

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Apple Support Page

I have alwasys just touched the case and back panel before removing the ram on my pros.

Here is the support page directly from apple (it even tells you what piece of metal to touch)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link2