Best way to display movies from iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleneday, Feb 24, 2011.

1. appleneday macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been looking up possible ways to display the images of your iphone onto the tv so you can watch movies or share pictures. I know you can buy the av cables from the apple store but I was wondering on how good the quality of the image is on the tv. On the apple website the output of those av cables to like 576p and 480p but has anyone tried using the dexim av dock. It says it can play 720p videos on the tv but only seems like you can order it online through amazon..

Any recommendations on what's the best way to display your iphone to the tv.

Thanks!

2. himesh macrumors regular

The Noosy HDMI Adaptor works pretty good. Check it out. YouTube

3. Reefbone macrumors regular

Apple TV - Price reduced to $99

Streams phone video/audio content to TV via Airplay. Will also steam Netflix (w/subscription) and allow iTunes rentals. My only problem with it is it's only outpout is HDMI and I would like to be able to use both HDMI and RCA.

Noosy Review

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I second the apple tv. Just got it a week ago and the quality is very good, much better than the component cables I had before and you don't have to get up to change the video. Only complaint is you can't do anything else on the phone while the video is playing. Also if you have coupons or reward zone certificates you can get it at best buy, got mine for $65 using one.

5. Reefbone macrumors regular

I was thinking of the Apple TV for streaming music to my HiFi but liked the versatility of the airport express and just bought one. Seemed a little redundant being that I have a PS3 as well. If I could have got the Apple TV for $65 I think I would have. Good price and good for you.. other than rewards... what coupons are available?

6. Fernandez21, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I also get 10%-15% off coupons in the mail that you could use for it. Honestly, it was a no brainer since just the component cable cost around $50. I too felt the same aboutit being redundent since I also have a ps3, but I have found it quite usefull. I have it hook-up to my home theater system, so its great for just listening music, very easy to set up and change tracks from your phone, streaming video from both my laptops and iphones is also easy and good quality. What surprised me was how good netflix is on it. The quality of the video and audio, while not on par with the PS3 @1080p, is still very good and would say its better than hd cable, and the interface is snappier than the PS3's. It has become my netflix box. Also, I have had netflix on my PS3 for almost a year now, and I was pretty much the only one using it, but now on the apple tv my wife is constantly using it and for some reason thinks of it as a feature only on the apple tv. She looks at me confused when I explain she could've been using it on the PS3 for the past 8 months.

I will say though, my one complaint is no storage, so if I want to watch something thats on my laptop I have to actually turn the laptop on and runn iTunes before I can access it on the apple tv.

7. appleneday thread starter macrumors newbie

portability for apple tv

Thanks for the advice. apple tv seems the way to go. but i only had one question about it. How portable is apple tv? Is it like a dvd player where you hook up to a single tv and leave it there? I was sort of looking for a device where I could stream movies/pictures on the go at other houses. If the apple tv is portable then that'll be perfect.

8. infidel69 macrumors regular

lol, I haven't heard someone use the word HiFi to describe a stereo in at least 30 years. I have an old GE HiFi console in my basement from the early 60's with a record player, stereo and reel to reel player inside. It uses vacuum tubes and sounds great to this day.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's small, you you'll also need to bring the power lead and HDMI of course.

The other option is a VGA lead, which gives you 1024x768, as well as being just under 720p, this also presents the issues of being 4:3. Almost all HDTVs have VGA in, but they option have different image representation options to other input, in that it's highly unlikely that you will be able to crop the image to 16:9.
    So if your movie isn't 4:3, which no modern films and TV shows are, it will not fill the entire screen, either horizontally or vertically, and it's unlikely the TV will have an option to correct that.

Basically it's component lead or ATV :-/

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The device it self is very portable, however it will only work on tv's with hdmi inputs.